Silkie thread!

I actually work for a human clinic, haha. I'm a Medical Technologist and work in the lab.

I don't think she's losing weight anymore at this point, now that I have a system down that works. I will weigh her this morning after her big morning poop to see where we're at. She mostly lost weight while I was feeding her pellets with tweezers because it was SO inefficient.

It's funny because everything you suggested are things that I have done over the course of the last two weeks through experimenting and trial/error :). I think I have her it ironed out now, but I'll have to see how her morning poop looks, haha. I will try the mealworm thing, but so far she's just ignored everything I've put in front of her.

I just have to say, you are an amazing chicken mamma, and your dedication to this sweetie is amazing! Wishing you a very successful recovery!

Well Cricket my black hen is growling and pecking at the partridge baby, don't know if its the different color from her baby or that they are a week apart, I removed her from the broody area the two chicks still have to Moms so I think they will fine even tho I think the blue chick likes cricket best I think it will adjust Lilly's been raising it all along too. Cricket is standing there looking in talking to the blue baby makes me feel so bad even tho I'm mad at her for being mean to the little partridge. Any thoughts? I could try blocking off another spot for her and giving her the blue baby put it would be a pain and make it hard for me to get in and clean. Should I just let her get over it?

hello everyone!!

i have a question about silkie chicks....i have 2 pairs of white silkie, one is single comb pair and 2nd is walnut. i gathered eggs of both pair in a one pit and the are now in incubator....

what i want to know, how long i have to raise my silkie chicks to know which chicks are single comb and which chicks are walnut....

regards,

hello everyone!!

i have a question about silkie chicks....i have 2 pairs of white silkie, one is single comb pair and 2nd is walnut. i gathered eggs of both pair in a one pit and the are now in incubator....

what i want to know, how long i have to raise my silkie chicks to know which chicks are single comb and which chicks are walnut....

regards,

From what I have seen, unless the single comb starts growing sooner (i.e. male) it takes almost 6 months. My one boy had a funny looking single-ish comb for awhile- its growing wider now and looks like it might end up walnut. The other boy is 5 months and his comb still looks single but very wide at the base I am hoping it will change.. Silkies are not supposed to have single combs.

Just thought I'd share this. I bought this bag for ten dollars to put my show stuff in and decided to get a little crafty the other night and I'm pretty happy on how it turned out :D

I will try the mealworm thing, but so far she's just ignored everything I've put in front of her.
I know I forgot to eat. I still do fairly often unless there is something to remind me, such as a hungry husband. It's been great--I've lost quite a few pounds without trying.

I thought the meal worms might stimulate her to think about eating. It's only been a few weeks since her accident--she may improve dramatically over the next few weeks and months. This morning I was in to the dentist talking to the receptionist about how much progress I had made (they had seen me at close to my worst). A woman snapped head up to listen, so I just sort of explained that I had been a basket case not so long ago. She said she worked in the local Home Depot and remembered me from that time. Sad when a stranger remembers you walking around in a total daze from months ago! I'm almost 100%. Not quite, but pretty close. Your little chicken will just take time, but I am confident she WILL improve and you won't be able to see any difference in her. I think scientists have said that a sheep with 90% of its brain destroyed by Scabies (the sheep equivalent to mad cow disease) will still act like a sheep.

Will you be having any baby chicks this winter or spring? They might help remind her to eat. I found that when I plopped my broody Silkies down by the food, they would just sit there brooding on dirt but if the others started pecking at food, the broody girls would come out of their stupor and start eating. I don't think I would want to put your girl with big chickens that could peck her. Another brain injury isn't an addition, it's a massive multiplication. A small brain injury plus another small brain injury one on top of the other does not equal two small brain injuries--it can be catastrophic.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom