Silkie thread!

Well I am hoping for a girl, but if it is a cute a Goggles, I'll take a boy :). I just have feelings about them all. Chance was a boy in my head since hatch, even when I was hobbling his little legs with band aids, and now when I sprinkle feed in the brooder, (they love that) he tidbits and makes a ruckus for the others to come eat. So I think boy. With Henley, the partridge, I have always leaned girl. So we will see. The others all have ways about them that say boy and girl, but not as much as those two. They all have visible combs, but the white hens they came from do too. Not big combs, just more pronounced. You can kinda see it in this pic of Luna. I had her crest pinned up.
The girl chicks will call others over. For food to. So cute with the hair penned up.

Squee!!:celebrate. Our Catdance eggs have arrived in wonderful condition. After being shipped halfway across the country only one has a air cell detachment. They are sitting now waiting to go into the incubator. This is so exciting!!

Squee!!
celebrate.gif
. Our Catdance eggs have arrived in wonderful condition. After being shipped halfway across the country only one has a air cell detachment. They are sitting now waiting to go into the incubator. This is so exciting!!

Congrats!!
thumbsup.gif

We have had nights down in the middle 20s here. As long as you keep them dry and they have a place to stay dry and out of the wind, they should thrive with the cold. Matter of fact, I worry more about my birds in July and Aug when it is over 100 for 6 to 8 hours and humidity is high.

I have one hen with 9 chicks. Sunday morning is was below freezing and they were all out walking around eating as soon as the sun hit the coop. I kind of laughed to myself because if I brood them I get the temp in the brooder just right and watch it like a hawk. I would never dream of exposing the chicks to 30 or less, yet there they all were (week old chicks) looked like little eskimo in furs scratching with Mama. Happy as larks.

Yes, thank goodness Momma has her heater running for when they need a warm-up. :)

Ella pooped a big old messy broody poop right in her nest, so I had to take everyone out to clean it up. The other egg has pipped and I took the opportunity to get a picture of the hatched chick. It was hard to get a picture of the active little thing. It already wanted to forage and wander over to peck at the camera. Is it possible to tell if it's a purebred silkie yet? We weren't planning on hatching eggs out, but the kids convinced me two more chickens wouldn't matter (we won't be hatching more now that we're at capacity), so this little guy's father could be the cochin.

Last edited:
Ella pooped a big old messy broody poop right in her nest, so I had to take everyone out to clean it up. The other egg has pipped and I took the opportunity to get a picture of the hatched chick. It was hard to get a picture of the active little thing. It already wanted to forage and wander over to peck at the camera. Is it possible to tell if it's a purebred silkie yet? We weren't planning on hatching eggs out, but the kids convinced me two more chickens wouldn't matter (we won't be hatching more now that we're at capacity), so this little guy's father could be the cochin.

Congrats on the chicks, I HATE it when the broody poops in the nest - ewwwwww....

You will be able to tell as soon as it starts to feathers out - Silkies need two copies of the silkied feather gene to have silkied feathers. If they are regular feathers then the Cochin is the daddy (only one copy of silkied). I would guess though that its pure silkie - on my crosses I find the beaks are lighter at the tips and the toes are usually two-tone for awhile. When the wing feathers come in in a couple of days you can tell then for sure - the regular feathers will be straight - the silkied feathers will be sort of curly really quickly.

What a day. My white silkie roo Isaac whose a hair over a month old had knocked down the sides to the brooder I had him in. I came inside last night and he was sleeping in my bed lol.
I woke this morning and he was sleeping under my bed haha.

I have converted my closet into his new home until I get a large rabbit cage. He's gonna be inside for a few more months maybe a perminant house chicken lol

I can't put him with mu other chickens as my rooster doesn't like other roosters. Guess I'll have to buy a chicken diaper lol

What a day. My white silkie roo Isaac whose a hair over a month old had knocked down the sides to the brooder I had him in. I came inside last night and he was sleeping in my bed lol.
I woke this morning and he was sleeping under my bed haha.

I have converted my closet into his new home until I get a large rabbit cage. He's gonna be inside for a few more months maybe a perminant house chicken lol

I can't put him with mu other chickens as my rooster doesn't like other roosters. Guess I'll have to buy a chicken diaper lol
I would go ahead and keep him with the other babies, and put him out with Ichabod when the time comes and see how i goes. Chickens are like people, it's not always that they don't like other roosters it could just be CERTAIN roosters. I know he was picked on by other Roo's at his previous home, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like them. My roo's will hang out with some and will squabble with others, but I have been able to keep 5 roosters together without any issues. They work it out. Now some roo's will NOT tolerate another roo, but I would at least try it and see how it goes =) Unless you REALLY want a house chicken, but i'll tell you it's more difficult than it sounds lol.

I rehomed all but him. I knew he was a rooster and I did have the paint and him but he would peck the poor chick so I had to find her a home. I planner on finding hem homes later but it was sooner than I thought lol.

I'd figure he would cry and peep like crazy as he was alme but he seems to like it. He is roosting on a wooden contraption I made. I moved him to my closet as I don't use it. It has no door but I blocked off the door with a screen. So far so good lol

Back
Top Bottom