Silkie thread!

I am new to Silkies..actually my chicks will be arriving next week. Ive started reading this thread and Im halfway through. Is there a section or link that discusses how to trim feathers so they can see? My chicks are for pets..not show quality. Thanks!

I am new to Silkies..actually my chicks will be arriving next week. Ive started reading this thread and Im halfway through. Is there a section or link that discusses how to trim feathers so they can see? My chicks are for pets..not show quality. Thanks!

my girl sees nicely under her crest.....unless they are from a full force silkie showing breeder, you should be fine. my silkies came from my breeder, who breeds silkies for fun. my girls crest is medium, and since she is broody her crest is actuailly being pushed back out of her eyes because of her reaching under herself for the nest.... here she is:

in the rain

in the coop

In order to trim crest feathers, hold the bird at eye level and trim the feathers that block you seeing its eyes. Once you can see the eyes, it can see. I have not trimmed my silkies crests, but I have red lots on it if I do need to. make shure you watch out for their combs or 'vaults' if they have one. PM me on vaults if you don't know what they are.

Vaulted chick at 3 weeks:

Non Vaulted chick at 3 weeks:

Smaller scissors make it easier to maneuver. You have to get their head and hold it still with one hand and then just be careful when cutting with the other that you don't get any important parts and don't face the scissors in towards the face in case they jerk- sometimes a helper to help hold them in your lap is nice. (words from @Windchyme )

Chicks don't normally get HUGE crests until about 2 months old....unless you have a show breeder's chicks. here was the same hen above at about 2 months....

My silkies I have now have not even a half inch sized crests....not even all around their heads. they are 4 weeks now....their 3 week pics are above.

Hope this helps!

~Bantambury

Last edited:

Just wanted to share a couple pictures of our funny little silkie mutt and momma...we can't wait to see what this little cutie looks like grown up. Not silkie feathers...but not quite smooth either...what would call that?!? ;) Hmmm...a whatchamacallit!!

Cute as a button though!! :)

He's so adorable:) he looks like a little penguin:)

Is there a such color as a Porcelain Splash? I know its not standard, but that's the best way I can describe my girl.

Her in front of a Porcelain d'Uccle. They are the same color.

Bumping this up. The thread goes so fast it got looked over.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom