Silkie thread!

does mareks showup suddenly because she was happy and picking and scratching good when i let them out this morning

I don't know much about diseases because so many display the same symptoms. If she wasn't limping this morning it could've just been a bruised injury but Marek's is something I know nothing about. I just knew that since my Silkie didn't improve overnight I took her in first thing to vet next day. It is so heartbreaking to see a hurt or sick Silkie.

Hey guys, I have a few hens just over a year old, and they really need to go through a molt. They look awful since they got beard lice last fall. Lice is gone, but now they look pitiful. When should I expect a molt from these ladies?

Lots of awesome new white showgirls and silkies

Hey guys I have a question.....

I have received a beautiful splash/porcelin rooster from a friend. He's has a beautiful cult skull, leg feathers and everything. One problem is his beak is slightly crooked. Looks nothing like scissor beak and it doesn't effect eating or drinking... But he would make wonderful babies with my blue hen. But my hen hasn't got that beak problem. Will all her babies if I breed have that or not necessarily.

he was given to friend and was in horrid condition as he wasn't ever on grass and kept in cage. His brother is different color and has no beak problem.

also!!!!!

I have a chick from her as well. Unrelated to the rooster. The bad think maybe is that bro and sis had babaies and their babies had some babies which gets me this chick.
its got barely noticable bottom beak slight off. Only notice if you hold her up close. She is 1 month. She's got a curled toe too. I hatched her myself with two other chicks who had no problems. If its hen I don't want to have chicks with this problem. But they would both give beautiful babies.

my flock includes
3 roos Ichabod, roman, silas(slight crooked beak )
2 hens. I blue and one splash
3 chicks.

got chi ks, splash hen, and partridge too from her flock.
i had a hen like this i called her mrs bent beak, but she got old she died. i called her my legend chook!!

I don't know much about diseases because so many display the same symptoms. If she wasn't limping this morning it could've just been a bruised injury but Marek's is something I know nothing about. I just knew that since my Silkie didn't improve overnight I took her in first thing to vet next day. It is so heartbreaking to see a hurt or sick Silkie.
I had a scare this winter. I had 3 juvies that showed symptoms of Mereks. The first one died and when I had 2 more show signs of paralyzed legs I culled them trying to prevent anymore form getting it while I waited for the necropsy report. In the report it said she had phneumonia. She had no symptoms of it at all. I had a 4th one come down with it and he went to the vet. He wormed him first then gave him a shot of steriod and vitamins. The steroid was in case it was a brain injury, vitamins in case of a d eficiency and wormed him for the obious reason. He said that he once had a chicken patient that presented with classic Mereks symptoms and when the necropsy report came back it was worms.

They where fine one day and the next morning they where down and didn't make it out of their bed. Their feet where out in front of them and they couldn't hold up their heads or move their wings. Classic Mereks sign. It only happened with the ones I bought and I kept them in the juvie pen with some I hatched from my stock. They grew up all together since they all hatched the same time. Two of the 6 I bought never came down with it. So I lost 3 out of the 6.

The one boy that didn't come down with it did develop a crooked cross beak. He is very pretty and I don't think he can hang on to breed.I really don't need another roo so he is up for grabs to anybody willing to take him in as a pet. I can't ship because I have no box. If anybody is interested in him let me know by PM. I'll take pics tomorrow.

What color is this pullet? She has spots that make me think splash but she has colors on her that make me think porcelain. She is a recent purchase. I gave her a bath to make sure it wasn't just stains but I used the whitening shampoo. She has some light buff on her crest and her cushion and wings. Her face was damp so the darkness is from that.
I put her in the splash pen for now but if she is porcelain I'll move her to that pen. I bought another that is lavender mostly and has some light buff on her wings. I'm sure she is porcelain and I feel if I put her with my porcelain roo their babies will be very nice ones. Here is my porcelain roo.

Hi I am picking up a silkie tonight who is rumored to be broody. If she is really broody when I get there I will just get her and her eggs but the girl I am getting her from is young and even less experienced than I am so I am not sure if she has just collected a clutch or if she is sitting on them or what. If she isn't setting on them she will need a friend so I will be bringing home two silky girls tonight.

Anything I should know?

Back
Top Bottom