Silkie thread!

Okay tell me what yall think about these 4

Face wise nothing screams rooster. But I'm hesitant on the first one.

I was told that Silkies were worse than Turkeys when it comes to death by stupid. I just wanted t make sure. Most animals between my husband and myself we can care for. Silkies though make me nervous.

We don't do medicated feeds. Had more issues with th birds we used medicated feeds with than the ones that never got the medicated feeds.
LOL_ "Death by stupid". We have dog houses and tarps everywhere in case a sudden storm hits before I can get everyone out of it. They just stand there like sad, wet paper towels.
roll.png

I solved my snake problem with blown out eggs filled with every bitter tasting liquid I could find. (Mustard, vinegar,hot sauce, pepper). I'm currently fighting a rat. Time to make more eggs

That's a good idea. How does it work? The snake swallows the egg whole or how?

Im in ny I asked over 20 people about silkies
sad.png
some people r 3 hrs away. I guess no one ha 5to 10 weeks. Im not giving up.. I think mo is half was across the country. Is it even possible to ship them? At that age?

All my purebreed juveniles were shipped cross-country. One shipment was 11-12 week olds. Next shipment was 9-10 week olds. Both shipments were from VT to CA and the juvies were fine if you are getting from breeders experienced in shipping. Realize that USPS shipping costs are outrageous but it's the only way to get specialized breeds not close to you.

LOL_ "Death by stupid". We have dog houses and tarps everywhere in case a sudden storm hits before I can get everyone out of it. They just stand there like sad, wet paper towels.
roll.png

Depends on the individual chickens. I have one Silkie that rushes out with the LF straight for the mud puddles and looks like a drowned rat while the other Silkie stays in the coop until the rain lets up. However both Silkies love to forage in a light rain to get at the tasty earthworms that crawl out of the wet earth. By end of day they are pretty sad looking but preen and fluff themselves dry before going to roost. By morning they are all fluffy and clean looking again.

H

That's a good idea.  How does it work?  The snake swallows the egg whole or how?
[/quote
The snake swallows it whole. I forgot to say I also fill it with salt. I found one snake trying to spit it up but was also projectile vomiting. That was a year ago. I live in the woods and have tons o snakes. I found them in henhouse weekly. I haven't seen one since. Could be coincidence, but I don't think so. I put a couple "special" eggs in a fake nest sitting on the floor every six weeks or so

If you get something stuck on them that isn't supposed to be on them? Some oil will peel them right off! I use criso oil. I had three baby chicks stuck on one years ago. I still don't know how they managed to get to it to get themselves stuck on it!

TC
Like you I find Crisco Oil much easier to use than the extremely greasy Olive Oil. So many suggest Olive Oil but it is ridiculously hard to clean up.

Quote: We watched a turkey drown standing up in a downpour because it tilted it's head back and opened mouth. You can figure the rest. I never believed that type of stuff until i saw it first hand. Yes, turkey's can be that dumb hence the Death By Stupid

Last edited by a moderator:
Rats are especially difficult to get rid of. I don't leave any feed out overnight but they still nest under the nest boxes, steal eggs and the occasional chick. Baits are risky, I had a guy come buy hatching eggs from me last month after he indirectly poisoned his entire flock with rat poison. He thought it was safe to place them outside the coop at night whilst the chooks were locked up. He didn't figure on the rat dying in the coop and the chooks eating it . We have very large water rats as big as a squirrel . My cats hang around the coops at night and do their best to keep numbers down.

Your Rats are the size of Squirrels and our Raccoons are the size of Goats! Our Roaches are the size of Cats (just kidding but they really are huge - our Silkie Violet ate one the other day as big as her little face). I'm with you about the poison - it is NOT an option around domesticated animals. Only OMRI organic fertilizers and pesticides.

Back
Top Bottom