Silkie thread!

The people at the feed store are very friendly and would notify me if a new adolescent silkie came in the thing is I have added chickens to my flock that I have not hand raised myself and they changed the dynamic of my flock and it was not a good way. I plan to keep my Silkie flock mostly separate from my layer flock. I have 5 Ladies that are 5 years old. We purchased tsc pullets for our granddaughter I am sure I did not put in enough time with the younger pullets coupled with the fact that they are leghorns They are a panicky bunch and I don't really like them. I will keep them because my granddaughter loves they fact that she has her own ladies. She is so cute out in the coop when we collect eggs she always says "Thank you ladies for all your hard work!" She knows the brown eggs are from my Ladies and the White ones are from her ladies.

oops off on tangent any way I am not sure I want to take in more chickens that someone else had no use for. I am not sure if Silkies will develop skittish personalities or if they will usually be calm and friendly.

I do know that leghorns were not on my list of chickens i wanted to have in my flock.

Here is updated pictures of my 4 Silkie mix chicks that hatched the first part of Feb. They were 3 weeks on Sunday.

The 4th chick was the runt and is considerably smaller and more timid than the other 3. I have not pick outs names yet without knowing what sex they are.

Adorable! Love the first ones coloring and crest :D

@Suzierd Ilove the first one too, I'm suspecting a roo by its mannerisms.

@tjo804 I'm not certain what they are mixed with. The eggs were from my brother-in-laws hens which he had gotten from someone a couple years ago. They told him that they weren't pure because someone had snuck into their run. I love them any ways.

The people at the feed store are very friendly and would notify me if a new adolescent silkie came in the thing is I have added chickens to my flock that I have not hand raised myself and they changed the dynamic of my flock and it was not a good way. I plan to keep my Silkie flock mostly separate from my layer flock. I have 5 Ladies that are 5 years old. We purchased tsc pullets for our granddaughter I am sure I did not put in enough time with the younger pullets coupled with the fact that they are leghorns They are a panicky bunch and I don't really like them. I will keep them because my granddaughter loves they fact that she has her own ladies. She is so cute out in the coop when we collect eggs she always says "Thank you ladies for all your hard work!"  She knows the brown eggs are from my Ladies and the White ones are from her ladies.

oops off on tangent any way I am not sure I want to take in more chickens that someone else had no use for. I am not sure if Silkies will develop skittish personalities or if they will usually be calm and friendly.

I do know that leghorns were not on my list of chickens i wanted to have in my flock.
Hi I have 1 leghorn and they are a skittish breed. She is a egg machine, but definitely not a cuddler. I incubated the 4 silkies for my granddaughter as well. They will have their own coop this spring when Lily's papa can get it built. I don't get to handle the silkies as much as I would like. They are out in the brooder coop and because I have so many different ages brooding right now I don't have the space just to let them down on the coop floor. I'm currently trying to sell the 7 & 9 week olds that have free rein of the coop. The silkies & the week old chicks have their own brooder box in the coop for their safety.

Back
Top Bottom