Silkie thread!

I don't have great photos yet. I'm thinking the oily look is from the longer feathers down on the wings and tail area. The one on my shoulder is the one I was referring to, but now with the two additions and looking at other pics here maybe its not oil but rather the way they are grooming till older:)

I got two three month old silkie chicksnot long ago, I added them to my group(three five month old silkies, and three, three month old sexlink) I figured my older flock would maybe give the little one a hard time. But I noticed one of my new silkies chasing my older bigger birds. What gives? Any advice on what I should do, I don't want to have to separate them. Thank you.

Quote:
I got two three month old silkie chicksnot long ago, I added them to my group(three five month old silkies, and three, three month old sexlink) I figured my older flock would maybe give the little one a hard time. But I noticed one of my new silkies chasing my older bigger birds. What gives? Any advice on what I should do, I don't want to have to separate them. Thank you.

Never just put new birds in your flock. Moving is stressful and you should get to know the new chickens before putting them in with your flock Stress can lower immunity and all sorts of things can go wrong that way. Not to mention it throws off the pecking order of your existing flock and then every one is crazy stressed for a minute.
I have just set up the dog kennel next to my chicken run so that I can put the new chicks I have outside for play time near my Layers. They will be able to see each other but not touch. The chicks came here as day old and are now 5 weeks I am sure there is not disease in the new ones or my Ladies.
Here are some links that might be helpful I hope.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/biosecurity-for-the-rest-of-us

When everything changes in a snap sometimes it throws off the harmony balance. If you start to have big problems like bullying or pulling of feathers you will have to address this right away. However Silkies are still chickens and are subject to the pecking order rules just like everyone else. It is possible that is all you are seeing. Here is another link for you
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/totem-talk-chicken-pecking-order-how-where-when-why

I hope I have been of some help to you.

My new little silkies took so much running back and forth, I lost weight. I kept them separate by some fence they could see through. Then I put them in an outside little pen together with my silkie and a buff orpington for several hours. When I put them back in with the others they were fine. The pecking order went on and I did this over and over again with different larger pullets that grew up with my almost 5 month old silkie. They are all doing great!! All in the same pen and outside also. Relieved!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I had made a very bad decision. Just give it time and put them in "neutral territory" together and youll notice there's no pecking.

I am trying to wrap my head around a *specials* coop that will have Silkies and cochin frizzles in it.

Here in Texas for the winter do I need an enclosed coop for these breeds?

Everything I read says *draft free* but I am assuming that is for the people north of here. Where they get snow and blisters from the cold. because of the feather composition and smaller size are they able to hold in enough body heat to stay warm and healthy if I only had a 3 sided structure with a covered run for them or should I put a bit more construction into it maybe a removable front for summer?

I have a tendency to see my Flock as a public middle school!

There are different groups and *classes* within the one building and I sometimes feel sorry for the lower classes in the order.

Harmony in the flock is only achieved when all the chickens truly know their place. As humans this is sometimes hard to watch but is necessary to find balance only intervene if someone is being hurt. Also if you free range regularly be sure to keep them penned up until they find a balance. you and your flock will be happier for it.

Think of it as being the new kid in the middle of the school year.

I use middle school as an example because middle school kids can be very unaccepting of change as they are still figuring out who they are trying to be.

Back
Top Bottom