Silkie thread!

Thanks for all the past help I've received here. I've got another broody question. I've got first time silkie broodies who are a little less than a year old. The first girl went broody about the first of February and 3 others followed during the next two weeks or so. I dinked around and debated on getting eggs and finally got some shipped in last week. I have incubated before so I put them in the incubator planning to see what was developing before giving them to the girls.

Meanwhile my first broody decided about March 1 she had had a full month of broody with no chicks and quit. She's out running around the yard with the rest of the not broody chickens and seems happy. I have 3 more girls who are still setting very faithfully on infertile eggs in their little brooder box/pen and seem very serious (they took over Petunia's eggs as soon as she left and they steal eggs from each other regularly but nobody seem to mind too much.) Every time I've checked all the non fertile eggs I let them have are covered and warm.

The problem is: at least a couple or three weeks have gone by since they first went broody and my other girl was only broody for a month.. I'm worried if I pull my week old developing eggs out of the incubator and give them to the girls, maybe the rest of the girls will quit broodying too before the eggs hatch?.

What do more experienced broody hatchers think I should do?

1) Keep the eggs in the incubator and hatch them out, giving the silkies the new chicks only if they are still broody that time?
2)Give them the developing eggs and hope they hold on 2 more weeks?
3)Split up the eggs between the incubator and the girls? Any other ideas?

Help!

Thanks for all the past help I've received here. I've got another broody question.  I've got first time silkie broodies  who are a little less than a year old. The first girl went broody about the first of February and 3 others followed during the next two weeks or so.  I dinked around and debated on getting eggs and finally got some shipped in last week. I have incubated before so I put them in the incubator planning to see what was developing before giving them to the girls.

Meanwhile my first broody decided about March 1 she had had a full month of broody with no chicks an
d quit. She's out running around the yard with the rest of the not broody chickens and seems happy. I have 3 more girls who are still setting very faithfully  on infertile eggs in their little brooder box/pen and seem very serious (they took over Petunia's  eggs as soon as she left and they steal eggs from each other regularly but nobody seem to mind too much.)  Every time I've checked  all the non fertile eggs I let them have are covered and warm.

The problem is:  at least a couple  or three  weeks have gone by since they first went broody and my other girl was only broody for a month.. I'm worried if I pull my week old developing eggs out of the incubator and give them to the girls, maybe the rest of the girls will quit broodying too before the eggs hatch?.

What do more experienced broody hatchers think I should do?

1) Keep the eggs in the incubator and hatch them out,  giving the  silkies the  new chicks only if they are still broody that time?  
2)Give them the developing eggs and hope they hold on 2 more weeks?  
3)Split up the eggs between the incubator and the girls?  Any other ideas?

Help!

All three options are reasonable. I would give the girls a chance , but keep the incubator on standby.

My baby girl Taylor! I love her so much and she is getting SO BIG (well, compared to how small she used to be). I really need to work on her indoor coop, she's outgrowing her 3' cage very fast. I'm thinking a 5x3 wooden box, complete with hanging feeder and waterer, a small shelf for sleeping, a box for laying, a kitty litter box with sand and dirt for dustbathing, a fodder box so she can have fresh greens, and a mirror to keep her company until I can find the right indoor-suitable companion for her. Anyone else have any suggestions?

So I have a question. Are your silkies laying eggs this time of year? I live in Northwest va and my beautiful silkies haven't started laying again. They stopped around december. Will they start again in the spring? I really wanted to try and hatch some of their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom