Silkie thread!

Hehe, it means he/she got more chickens.
smile.png
yes, now their are 12
ep.gif

Also - a question, since I'm no good at comb genetics. Both of my cocks have pretty awful combs - Midwest's is single/pea-ish, and Montana's is... probably the ugliest, bumpiest rose-ish thing I've ever seen. Yes, I know, I should be starting with better type, but I was more interested in plumage color and what was available when I was acquiring the birds. My hens, on the other hand, have very nice combs. All of the offspring I've hatched so far excluding one have inherited their mother's combs. Assuming I breed these ones with good combs to other birds with good combs, are the chances of the comb breeding true pretty good, or is there a good chance those nasty grandparent genetics show up in the offspring?

Also - a question, since I'm no good at comb genetics. Both of my cocks have pretty awful combs - Midwest's is single/pea-ish, and Montana's is... probably the ugliest, bumpiest rose-ish thing I've ever seen. Yes, I know, I should be starting with better type, but I was more interested in plumage color and what was available when I was acquiring the birds. My hens, on the other hand, have very nice combs. All of the offspring I've hatched so far excluding one have inherited their mother's combs. Assuming I breed these ones with good combs to other birds with good combs, are the chances of the comb breeding true pretty good, or is there a good chance those nasty grandparent genetics show up in the offspring?
Ask @Fancychooklady who has shown, breeds, and raised tons of Silkies for years. She seems knowledgeable about our SOP as well as her own country. I'm sure others on this thread will be helpful too. My Partridge boy was gorgeous (to us) in so many ways except for the darn comb color!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom