Silkie thread!

Question for all the silkie experts on this thread. We hatched out five silkie babies, they are different colors. A few are tricolor colored, but not sure what the difference in splash and painted are? I will try to get pictures today so you can educate me!

I'm not expert but I think splash is more of like larger splashier marks and paint is smaller more definitive marks. Like one almost looks swirled with colored and one more little splashes of color in different places. Here is a picture of my paint Silkie hen. -

And my paint Silkie rooster. -

You can click them for larger versions. The paints have very small definitive spots. I could be way off with my description but that's what it looks like to me. I hope this can provide some help to you.

Last edited:
Question for all the silkie experts on this thread. We hatched out five silkie babies, they are different colors. A few are tricolor colored, but not sure what the difference in splash and painted are? I will try to get pictures today so you can educate me!

Paint , the colour goes all the way down to the base of the feather. Splash, the colour is more at the surface as if they were flicked with paint.
1f60a.png

Paint , the colour goes all the way down to the base of the feather. Splash, the colour is more at the surface as if they were flicked with paint.
1f60a.png

You can think of it like this: if you paint something you will coat it entirely with paint but if you just splash paint on something it will be more splattered and not entirely covered.

Is my blue frizzle considered a silky? What cross makes a frizzle?
She has black skin and 5 toes.

If she has dark skin and five toes, she is a Sizzle, not a frizzle.

For reference:

Frizzle = feather type. It can occur in any breed and in the U.S. is not a breed in and of itself. I believe there may be a breed known as a Frizzle in the UK, but I may be wrong about that.
Silkie: Usually denotes a common breed, the Silkie, but is also a feather type, which like frizzling, can be found in multiple breeds.
Sizzle: A bird which should resemble a Silkie in all ways except feather type.

Sizzle vs. Silkie is a matter that has been confusing newbies since the inception of Sizzles.

Sizzles originated in crosses of Silkies with Bantam Frizzle Cochins. While the original birds were basically just mixed breeds, with enough work (and lots of work waiting for them in the future) breeders have been able to develop these mixed breeds into what I would say could certainly be called a breed at this point, or at least a variant of the Silkie breed, though they are not yet accepted by the APA as a recognized breed or variety. (And likely won't be for some time). Sizzles should resemble Silkies in all ways except feathering; that is to say Sizzles should have five toes, dark skin, a crest, a walnut comb, a beard and ear muffs (typically), a rounded body type like a Silkie, and the docile temperament of a Silkie. However, they may have frizzled feathers, flat feathers, or feathers which are both frizzled and silkied.

Speaking of breeds and colours and things, I posted on my article about my Silkie, Missy. I'm unsure what colour she is. From the response in PMs on the article I think she is a light buff (that is, a white and buff cross). We also wondered whether lemon Pyle silkies are a thing. Here is a picture of her, I'd love your input. And yes, that's her in my profile pic.

Edit: she's mostly white on her belly (underneath her) - just saying because you can't see in this pic

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom