Silkie thread!

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'm new to silkies and the color expression on their feathers isn't nearly as clear as smooth feathers.
I picked the pale barred chick a few min ago and saw a couple of much darker barred tail feathers coming in.

Also, are the feathers curling forward on the head on the barred one indicative of some frizzle gene in there? Or do silkies just get that sometimes.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'm new to silkies and the color expression on their feathers isn't nearly as clear as smooth feathers. 

I picked the pale barred chick a few min ago and saw a couple of much darker barred tail feathers coming in. 

Also, are the feathers curling forward on the head on the barred one indicative of some frizzle gene in there? Or do silkies just get that sometimes. 

I can't quite see what you a referring to but it does have rather prominent 'Osprey ' feathers (wing tips ) . Do they all have 5 toes, I can see they blue skin but the beaks are a little on the yellow side. Some of my partridge also display barring so that could be a possibility also.

I know these are not the best pics. My guy has been out in the rain and his leg feathers are wet but I was hoping to get a critique on him? Would like to breed him since he has an amazing personality. Thanks. :)

All have 5 toes... not all have full feathering on the middle toe.
All have fairly dark skin(darkest is the splash), except the 'barred' chick which is very noticeably lighter.
I was asking about the way the crest on the light colored 'barred' chick curves up and forward. It just seems odd.
I'll try to get a couple of pics tomorrow of the newer feathers coming in which are darker.

All have 5 toes... not all have full feathering on the middle toe. 

All have fairly dark skin(darkest is the splash), except the 'barred' chick which is very noticeably lighter.  

I was asking about the way the crest on the light colored 'barred' chick curves up and forward. It just seems odd. 
I'll try to get a couple of pics tomorrow of the newer feathers coming in which are darker. 

Oh no Hun they are just the little pin feathers. They do change quite a bit once they mature.

That's good to know I was trying to decide it I wonted rooster!! I found out after I bought my regular chickens and built my coop where I live requires 5 acres to have chickens!! Why do chickens need 5 acres who the heck know?? 2 blocks for my house is the city where they have very small yards and they are aloud to have 6!! my back yard is 80 by 128 and they are perfectly happy!! so my friend told me to put my daughter in 4-H because the county is big on that!! Long behold that's my story on how I ended up with silkies and sizzles!! Also how my 9 turned into 16!!!

Sad about city ordinances. Here, the city ordinances will allow 3 to 5 hens but no roos. The cities want to seem like good guys allowing the chickens but then they turn around and make the chicken housing laws so prohibitive with outlandish distances from your or your neighbors' houses that in essence you really can't keep chickens!!! With us, we don't keep a roo so that the neighbors won't complain -- it's bad enough when the noisy Silkies do their egg song -- I don't need a roo blasting a crow every half hour on the hour
lol.png
. Someone mentioned there is a veterinary procedure for stopping roos from crowing but then, what's the use of having a roo?

4H is great for youth! I remember being 12 yrs old and still into animals and really big at the time training my rare Olde Boston Bulldogge (Helen Keller had an OBBD). People thought he was so in love with me to automatically sit to my left whether I was standing or sitting and was not allowed to sit on my feet (a dominance thing with dogs). It's nice to have a well-behaved dog that knows what to do without having to tell him.

OBBD - c. 1956-57

I know these are not the best pics. My guy has been out in the rain and his leg feathers are wet but I was hoping to get a critique on him? Would like to breed him since he has an amazing personality. Thanks.
smile.png

Hard to tell by the small pic but I hope the comb isn't too red on your boy because he looks lovely. My 6-month cockerel was a cutie personality and started to get pretty coloring but his comb was too bright and we had to re-home him before we got to see his full adult feathers:

LOL... Ok. Thanks again.
These little guys are just so different. I mean, they act like chickens, but they seem to have a little more individual personality... and the way they grow and change is very different from my experience with standard and bantams with regular feathering.
I honestly didn't think I would be so sucked in by them. I got them mainly so I could have a few good broodies, and my granddaughter could have some nice fluffy docile chickens more suited to her, rather than the big hens or the spicy tempered little OEGBs.

Hard to tell by the small pic but I hope the comb isn't too red on your boy because he looks lovely. My 6-month cockerel was a cutie personality and started to get pretty coloring but his comb was too bright and we had to re-home him before we got to see his full adult feathers:
It's not quite black but more of a purple color. Not red though. Hopefully it doesn't lighten up anymore. When dry he fluffy up quite nice and his colors seem to be coming in really pretty. I'm no good at judging him though cause to me he is perfect lmao. :p need another set of eyes haha

LOL... Ok. Thanks again. 

These little guys are just so different. I mean, they act like chickens, but they seem to have a little more individual personality... and the way they grow and change is very different from my experience with standard and bantams with regular feathering.  

I honestly didn't think I would be so sucked in by them. I got them mainly so I could have a few good broodies, and my granddaughter could have some nice fluffy docile chickens more suited to her, rather than the big hens or the spicy tempered little OEGBs. 

They are wonderful for children , just remember to get her to sit and be calm around them. A handful of cooked rice or bread crumbs will have them literally ' eating out of her hands ' . Enjoy.
We look forward to seeing more pics.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom