Silkie thread!

I have a question about breeding pens. Does anyone use breeding pens temporarily? So say I want eggs from a certain rooster and hen, can I temporarily set them up in their own pen for a month and then back to flock, is this feasible or a bad idea. Or if I want eggs from a certain hen (but I cant tell who layed what) can I put said hen in a separate set up to lay and return her to flock in the evening? Does anyone have any experience with these situations?

I have a question about breeding pens. Does anyone use breeding pens temporarily? So say I want eggs from a certain rooster and hen, can I temporarily set them up in their own pen for a month and then back to flock, is this feasible or a bad idea. Or if I want eggs from a certain hen (but I cant tell who layed what) can I put said hen in a separate set up to lay and return her to flock in the evening? Does anyone have any experience with these situations?
Yes, I put up several 5'x5' temporary panels to use for broodies and pairs or trios. Just make sure that you give enough time to make sure the hen is clear of any other roosters sperm. About a month should be sure and then you could start collecting eggs.

Right now I only have one rooster so that makes it easier. It is ok to put her in the pen temporary so I know I'm collecting only her eggs for a couple weeks. I was thinking about putting her in there in the morning wit food and water, then let her out to eat and roost with the flock in the evening. I wish I know who was laying what egg it would be so much better.

Right now I only have one rooster so that makes it easier. It is ok to put her in the pen temporary so I know I'm collecting only her eggs for a couple weeks. I was thinking about putting her in there in the morning wit food and water, then let her out to eat and roost with the flock in the evening. I wish I know who was laying what egg it would be so much better.
I would just separate her and the rooster from the rest.

And so it begins this year.

Mostly whites. Ashes has too many hens so not expecting high fertility. Hen went broody two days ago so she will get to raise them.

Just a quick update about Divine. He's definitely a cockerel, he crowed a couple of times yesterday and today. His comb is a lot bigger and redder but so far only a hint of wattles. I've moved him into a pen next to my partridge hen, as I'm planning to breed them. He's in a closed room where I keep my noisy birds (loud budgie pair and parrotlet) and neighbours don't seem to notice. I miss having him in the living area, but he had started to be less "cuddly" anyway and he needed a bigger enclosure. He's still friendly but I think he's already noticing the ladies (partridge plus bantam cochin hen).

Speaking of the ladies, my cochin hen whom I adopted because she was "spent", has started laying eggs again. For months, no egg, then one day I found one, then no more for weeks. Now she's laying every two or three days. Maybe it's because she sees the partridge silkie laying? Or maybe she's getting more calcium than she used to.
2018-01-22 20.36.27.jpg

Just a quick update about Divine. He's definitely a cockerel, he crowed a couple of times yesterday and today. His comb is a lot bigger and redder but so far only a hint of wattles. I've moved him into a pen next to my partridge hen, as I'm planning to breed them. He's in a closed room where I keep my noisy birds (loud budgie pair and parrotlet) and neighbours don't seem to notice. I miss having him in the living area, but he had started to be less "cuddly" anyway and he needed a bigger enclosure. He's still friendly but I think he's already noticing the ladies (partridge plus bantam cochin hen).

Speaking of the ladies, my cochin hen whom I adopted because she was "spent", has started laying eggs again. For months, no egg, then one day I found one, then no more for weeks. Now she's laying every two or three days. Maybe it's because she sees the partridge silkie laying? Or maybe she's getting more calcium than she used to.
View attachment 1258445

Spent hen I think just might be not getting what they need or just need a different environment. Good luck with your baby roo breeding project!

Back
Top Bottom