Silkie thread!

I would get two silkies so just in case you aren't keeping the single silkie alone? I think it always best to get chickens in multiples unless they're going to a single chicken house pet.
Yeah I wanted one cause I was going to have the silkie with rsls but people say they're not well received together so now ima get two in case I have to keep them separate they won't be lonely

Silkie question! I would love some silkies but I lost a silkie cross with a vaulted skull and don't ever want to have that happen again. So if anyone knows of breeders that don't breed for vaulted skulls it I would love to know of them?

I have vaulted and not vaulted. Sounds like you had a freak accident with yours cause a lot of people raise them successfully. Just have to be careful the first month of life.

Hello all. I was given a silkie rooster last Wednesday. I have heard that silkies are more prone to mareks than other breeds. The previous owners got him from Tractor Supply, so I assume he has already been vaccinated for mareks. Am I supposed to keep vaccinating him annually, or is he good for life provided he has already been vaccinated? Thanks! Have a great day and God Bless!

Hatchery birds are not vaccinated unless you order them yourself and pay the extra to have it done. Feed stores do not pay that extra money.

Silkies are more susceptible and you usually start seeing problems between 9 weeks and six months. Females seem slightly more prone than males.

It's a one time vaccine and must be administered within 24 hours of hatch.

Yes I've had an issue with it before and it killed off all my younger silkies that year. None of the ameraucana or EEs were affected. I vaccinate now because it's heartbreaking to watch. The silkie flock I have now have never had issues with it, but I will continue to vaccinate them even with it costing me $25-30 a hatch to do so. The vaccine must be used within a couple hours.

Back
Top Bottom