Hinotori

Silver Feathers
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Graham, WA
Depends on when hatched and the bloodline. Mine will lay at around 9 months if spring hatched. Around 8 months if fall hatched. I have had pullets go broody without even laying.

Gracelovessilkiechickens

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
This spring, I got ten Silkie chicks. (All survived) I have 4 hens and 6 roosters. I know that that is too many roosters. A few of the roosters are kinda aggressive to the hens and other roosters. Is there anyway to fix this behavior other than re homing. I’ve grown quite attached to my feathered angels.

skyhawktroll

Hatching
Aug 10, 2020
Wow those are pretty amazing. We just have two White Silkies, but they haven't had their first molt yet so not sure if they are true Whites yet. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pics.

LynnaePB

Crowing
Mar 30, 2019
Eastern Tennessee
This spring, I got ten Silkie chicks. (All survived) I have 4 hens and 6 roosters. I know that that is too many roosters. A few of the roosters are kinda aggressive to the hens and other roosters. Is there anyway to fix this behavior other than re homing. I’ve grown quite attached to my feathered angels.
I've heard of bachelor pads working really well. Sometimes they don't though. For me it worked for a while the first 6-8 months wasn't bad. After 8 months my boys got more and more rowdy and stopped getting along.

I've heard of others with more experience with bachelor pads mentioning often it can work but sometimes certain roosters just won't adjust to it.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works well for you and your boys!

Hinotori

Silver Feathers
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Graham, WA
Ive never had luck with adding in adult bachelors, but juveniles could be added just fine without the adults taking offense.

If the boys grew up together and weren't ever separated, putting just them in a bachelor pen where they can't see hens worked just fine for me.

Top Bottom