Silkie thread!

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone has replied to your note. I would suggest keeping all the silkie chicks until you are able to sex them. There is a good chance that 50% or more could turn out to be roosters. Once you figure out which are the girls vs boys, then you could decide which to rehome. Just a thought...
I agree. While you are gowing them out, you could try to find a local poultry club, swap, or tailgate sale to take them to if you decide to sell them.

I have this beautiful cockerel he is 5 months old (4.5 in the pic) He is free to a good home, located in Southern Maryland. I would be willing to meet someone if not too far.

Oh man...! Two weeks with no internet after my laptop died and I have over 500 new messages to read! LOL Yikes!
th.gif

Do any of you guys have birds from Bobbi Porto? I'm thinking of ordering eggs from her in the near future and I'd love to see how some of these birds have turned out.
big_smile.png
A friend and I received 12 chicks from her about 3 weeks ago. They are now 8 and 10 weeks old and they are beautiful!!! Okay, I may be biased and these are my first silkies but seriously, they are just awesome. We finally have some sun here in New Orleans today
yesss.gif
so I'll try to get a few new pictures and post for you to see. In addition to the beautiful babies, Bobbi is a jewel for new chicken moms (and dads). She was there every time I had a question about my new peeps. It's been a very good experience and I highly recommend her and her birds.

Hi all, I decided to DNA test 3 silkie babies and make sure they are girls. This is all so new for me, and to start this off I knew I was going to have to have mostly girls... if I had all roosters my husband ( and neighbors ) were going to KILL me... So I am going to get a Blk, Buff and a Paint.... also a Porcelain not DNA'd... then I am hoping to go for 2 Bantam Cochins cause those are so CUTE too... thats my quota...::)

Husband and I had a wonderful visit to Catdance Farm and a lovely visit with Karen and her husband. I got to see all of the pens that the Catdance hatching eggs come out of. Also got a fantastic tour of all the barns.

A couple of her project pens smoked my head!

This is just one of her Porcelain pens.

This Lavender pen was incredible. That color is so beautiful in person. Pictures do not do it justice!
love.gif

Three more days until I do the seven day candle on my twenty four Catdance eggs I picked up at the farm. I'm really hoping for Lavender and Porcelains to be fertile. But...If they aren't I will go back to the farm and purchase a pair in person. I've got Buffs on order from her. Pick up possibly in July or August. Love love love Silkies.

Hi Everyone,
Finally an update on my wryneck chick. I honestly didn't think I would ever be able to post this, but she actually stayed "untwisted" all morning today! Yesterday was the first time she could take some bites of food without her neck twisting upside down in between bites. And, then last night she stayed untwisted for awhile after eating (in her box). This morning when we checked on her first thing -we were shocked that her head was actually upright.....still. Her neck is still sort of cocked to the left, but not upside down. Another good sign is that she has actually taken a couple of steps to the right instead of her confused, unending circles to the left. Until yesterday, we really didn't think she had a chance to recover! She showed really no signs of improvement for over 2 weeks and then yesterday was like a miracle.

I think the most discouraging part was trying to feed her and when she went back into the box (or carrier) she would poop and then drag her head and roll uncontrollably in it ..........poor thing was so stinky and pitiful. I actually had to cut away some of the encrusted feathering before her eyes got stuck shut.
sad.png
We lined the box with paper towels that were changed often, but she always seemed to get covered in poo. It helped to move her to a smaller box with less floorspace. This mentioned just as a heads up in case others have to deal with a wryneck chick.

Everyone was encouraging, but a special thanks to Chicksnherps, Peepsblessed and TurtlePowerTrav and one other person who sent a helpful link. Without you guys insisting that the chick COULD get better, I would have given up hope long ago. By the way after spending all that time with her, I finally settled on an appropriate name: Hazey Daisy
smile.png

Hi Everyone,
Finally an update on my wryneck chick. I honestly didn't think I would ever be able to post this, but she actually stayed "untwisted" all morning today! Yesterday was the first time she could take some bites of food without her neck twisting upside down in between bites. And, then last night she stayed untwisted for awhile after eating (in her box). This morning when we checked on her first thing -we were shocked that her head was actually upright.....still. Her neck is still sort of cocked to the left, but not upside down. Another good sign is that she has actually taken a couple of steps to the right instead of her confused, unending circles to the left. Until yesterday, we really didn't think she had a chance to recover! She showed really no signs of improvement for over 2 weeks and then yesterday was like a miracle.

I think the most discouraging part was trying to feed her and when she went back into the box (or carrier) she would poop and then drag her head and roll uncontrollably in it ..........poor thing was so stinky and pitiful. I actually had to cut away some of the encrusted feathering before her eyes got stuck shut.
sad.png
We lined the box with paper towels that were changed often, but she always seemed to get covered in poo. It helped to move her to a smaller box with less floorspace. This mentioned just as a heads up in case others have to deal with a wryneck chick.

Everyone was encouraging, but a special thanks to Chicksnherps, Peepsblessed and TurtlePowerTrav and one other person who sent a helpful link. Without you guys insisting that the chick COULD get better, I would have given up hope long ago. By the way after spending all that time with her, I finally settled on an appropriate name: Hazey Daisy
smile.png

celebrate.gif
yesss.gif

Hi Everyone,

sad.png

smile.png
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom