Silkie thread!

I just candled them all. all but 2 were definitely dead, many stopped growing over a week ago it looked like :( there are 2 that I think are dead, but I wasn't 100% sure. I thought I might have seen a tiny bit of movement, but I wasn't sure. so I left them under the hen and relieved the pullet of her duties. maybe she'll help the chicks now.

I would love to have a Silkie, but all the feed stores here selling them as SR...can't guarantee m/f...
barnie.gif

I guess I need to try and find someone that has older Silkies? Will they adapt to my 2-1/2 week old chicks?

This is my first time with chickens, and don't know all the pro's and con's on who gets along with who yet...

I live in N. California...not far from Sacramento...in the Foothills.
you'll only find them SR... many times you can't tell the gender until they're 3 or 4 months. some even longer. little stinkers!

I would love to have a Silkie, but all the feed stores here selling them as SR...can't guarantee m/f...
barnie.gif

I guess I need to try and find someone that has older Silkies? Will they adapt to my 2-1/2 week old chicks?

This is my first time with chickens, and don't know all the pro's and con's on who gets along with who yet...

I live in N. California...not far from Sacramento...in the Foothills.
Check out Sheri Minker from CaliforniaCountry Ranch she has awesome birds, lives in lincoln, ca close to you. I have some of her silkies and sizzles they are amazing!

I'm sick. Something broke into our coop and murdered my 2 black silkies, bantam roo, and 3 baby turkeys. I know it was one of the million cats next door. (Cat hoarder.)
I'm beyond upset. What are my rights here? The cats should be in their own yard!
Have you figured out how whatever it was got in ??? I have never had a cat get in my coop but that seems like a lot of killing for a cat. So sad.... I hope you can see how it happened so you can keep whatever it was out
sad.png

Have you figured out how whatever it was got in ???  I have never had a cat get in my coop but that seems like a lot of killing for a cat.  So sad.... I hope you can see how it happened so you can keep whatever it was out :(

My neighbor has a BUNCH of outside cats, and while they've never physically touched one of my Silkies (enclosed run, secure coop, ect), I have caught them antagonizing the birds thru the fencing. I've lost 2 really nice hens that way. They rush the fence causing the chickens to scatter, during the mayhem they manage you hit their heads or break their necks. So, I keep a BB gun next to the window facing the coop. The cats have learned to give the chickens wide birth.
The Silkies freak out over the neighbors cats but pay absolutely no mind to my own. My bigger kitty, Mojo, managed to get himself shut in the coop one night. Guess it was warm and he wanted to sleep there. Anyway, I go to let everyone out in the morning and hear this awful ruckus in the coop. I get there, open the door and the cat and a bunch if his fur come flying out. Apparently the Silkies were not happy to find him loafing in their house and attacked him. There are still claw marks all over the inside of the door, he must have been really trying to get out.
I guess if the neighbors cats are scattering the birds around and they're in enough of a frenzy the cat could've been the culprits :/

I'm sick. Something broke into our coop and murdered my 2 black silkies, bantam roo, and 3 baby turkeys. I know it was one of the million cats next door. (Cat hoarder.)
I'm beyond upset. What are my rights here? The cats should be in their own yard!

Very sorry to hear, hope you found where it got in. Was there any flesh wounds or chewing? Can't tell by the pic they look all intact. :(

My good friend got her silkies & sizzles from Sheri in Lincoln & loved Sheri & loves her new babies. When we are in the market for new babies we will be going to Sheri as well! We also live in the foothills...up from Folsom. I bet we are neighbors ;-)

Back
Top Bottom