Silkie thread!

I've tried the "boot" thing and have never had any luck getting their toes to stay straight in them and stuck to them? What am I doing wrong?

I had to bandaid boot the Silkie chick. Middle toe was curled a little bit. Should correct in a day or two.

The little Buff? Good catch. Sometimes it's hard to catch that in broody hatched chicks. Come to think of it. I've never seen a curled toe in a broody hatched chick. 
I always inspect chicks the day after hatch by broody, just in case. The toe issue is rare with broodies, but it does happen.

I hatched some of my Silkies eggs in my incubator a couple of days ago. I picked one of the chicks up because it looks like it was having some trouble walking, and I noticed one of its extra toes is just connected by some skin. Its literally just hanging there. It doesn't look like an injury, so I'm assuming it hatched like that. Has anyone else ever seen/heard of that before? Is it common? I'll try to get pictures tomorrow, but I really don't expect that toe to stay on there long. Anyway, thanks for any insight :)

I've tried the "boot" thing and have never had any luck getting their toes to stay straight in them and stuck to them? What am I doing wrong?

The trick is to use a small band aid and cut it to fit the foot. It takes a steady hand to set the toes of the affected foot squarely on one sticky side and even up the top sticky half. I soak the foot in olive oil after a couple days. Slips right off. This is a day old Bantam Rhode Island Red but I've done the same treatment with silkie chicks.

I named this little girl 'Hello Kitty'. She is the sweetest thing and her feet and toes are still straight.

Last edited:
The trick is to use a small band aid and cut it to fit the foot. It takes a steady hand to set the toes of the affected foot squarely on one sticky side and even up the top sticky half. I soak the foot in olive oil after a couple days. Slips right off. This is a day old Bantam Rhode Island Red but I've done the same treatment with silkie chicks. I named this little girl 'Hello Kitty'. She is the sweetest thing and her feet and toes are still straight.
She is like "why? Why did you put this on me?" Hahahaha!!

welcome-byc.gif
Wow! And I thought my Silkies were too small!

I didn't mean that yours were too small- worded that wrong. I always think that mine are too thin and light. Esp when I'm showing in Bantam shows- and HUGE Silkies are always winning!

I didn't mean that yours were too small- worded that wrong.  I always think that mine are too thin and light.  Esp when I'm showing in Bantam shows- and HUGE Silkies are always winning! 

X2! When it rains my SQ hen's crest feathers don't cover her eyes and she EATS! While my other silkie hen that I trimmed up ways a ton! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom