Silkie thread!

Well, the one chick that survived my home made "red neck" bator didn't make it through lockdown. Looked like it never internally pipped. But I set 11 eggs tonight. 4 Buff Silkie, 5 (hopefully)Blue Silkie and 2 layer eggs. My little Blue girl is a laying machine. Has only taken one day off since she started laying. The 4 Buffs are from 2 girls, one is Marsala's.

Well, the one chick that survived my home made "red neck" bator didn't make it through lockdown. Looked like it never internally pipped. But I set 11 eggs tonight. 4 Buff Silkie, 5 (hopefully)Blue Silkie and 2 layer eggs. My little Blue girl is a laying machine. Has only taken one day off since she started laying. The 4 Buffs are from 2 girls, one is Marsala's.

Sorry it didn't make it thry lock down. Best of luck with your newly set eggs. I am on Silkie overload now, I need homes! I never thought this many would hatch.

Quote:
Thanks, I am pretty much just doing Progency hatches right now to see what/if I need to change birds. The reason I said hopefully Blue is she may have been with my Porcelain special needs boy, which would mean ALL her eggs in there would be PQ and will have to wait until Sept to collect eggs from her for more test hatches.

I sure do love following along with your Silkie hatches. Marsala was always my favorite of your starter flock. Glad to see you are still setting eggs.

My progeny testing is off to a great start but the broody's are having trouble keeping their chicks healthy and safe in my barn yard. I'm taking them all and getting them in a brooder in the house today and on special care before I lose any more. I had to take eight eggs from one broody Silkie that left them at fourteen days to steal chicks from another. Seven have hatched now and one is still alive in the incubator unpipped.
My # 1 White pen consists of the Catdance trio plus three Sheryl Butler pullets. All eggs I've set or were under broody's have had 100% fertility by this cockerel. He is just a year old coming up. My hatch rate is at 85%. Twenty nine chicks so far. Lost two stepped on by broody hens. Preliminary observations of these chicks is remarkable.
All the Silkie hens are getting a rest now and I will switch cockerels. I am hoping for another three dozen chicks by the Sheryl Butler roo. If his fertility isn't as good as the Catdance boy, he will be pulled from the pen.

I want my pen #2 to be made up of the best pullets from these first mating efforts.

When your Buff chicks hatch, please share pictures. I just love that Buff color on Marsala.

I sure do love following along with your Silkie hatches. Marsala was always my favorite of your starter flock. Glad to see you are still setting eggs.

My progeny testing is off to a great start but the broody's are having trouble keeping their chicks healthy and safe in my barn yard. I'm taking them all and getting them in a brooder in the house today and on special care before I lose any more. I had to take eight eggs from one broody Silkie that left them at fourteen days to steal chicks from another. Seven have hatched now and one is still alive in the incubator unpipped.
My # 1 White pen consists of the Catdance trio plus three Sheryl Butler pullets. All eggs I've set or were under broody's have had 100% fertility by this cockerel. He is just a year old coming up. My hatch rate is at 85%. Twenty nine chicks so far. Lost two stepped on by broody hens. Preliminary observations of these chicks is remarkable.
All the Silkie hens are getting a rest now and I will switch cockerels. I am hoping for another three dozen chicks by the Sheryl Butler roo. If his fertility isn't as good as the Catdance boy, he will be pulled from the pen.

I want my pen #2 to be made up of the best pullets from these first mating efforts.

When your Buff chicks hatch, please share pictures. I just love that Buff color on Marsala.

Wow that's a lot of chicks! Its amazing the damage one little miss step from a broody can do. With three moms I'm surprised I didn't have more problems. I also have ground squirrels getting in the run right beside the run where the chicks are in the coop. I'm trying to trap them they're a big worry for me I would love to let them out in the run. I don't think the rooster would hurt them he seems to really like them looking at them on the other side of the wire. Whats getting yours?

Back
Top Bottom