Silkie thread!

I guess I'm not meant to keep silkies. I've had 4 die in the last couple months. Now my catdance roo is gone. I can't seem to keep them alive. I don't have trouble keeping my other chickens alive. I've had them all along time. These, I can't seem to keep alive. :( I have that one hen I got from someone a year and a half ago. she is hardy, she just keeps kickin'. everyone else, they just can't seem to stay alive. 2 got paralyzed and ended up dying, and I don't know what happened to the rooster. prior to that, I lost 3 that I got from the same lady. Right now all I have in Pompette, the one I've had for a year and a half, and her 3 babies (one baby died last week) , and 3 of the ones I hatched out in June.

I guess I'm not meant to keep silkies.  I've had 4 die in the last couple months.  Now my catdance roo is gone.  I can't seem to keep them alive.  I don't have trouble keeping my other chickens alive.  I've had them all along time.  These, I can't seem to keep alive.  :(  I have that one hen I got from someone a year and a half ago.  she is hardy, she just keeps kickin'.  everyone else, they just can't seem to stay alive.  2 got paralyzed and ended up dying, and I don't know what happened to the rooster.  prior to that, I lost 3 that I got from the same lady.  Right now all I have in Pompette, the one I've had for a year and a half, and her 3 babies (one baby died last week) , and 3 of the ones I hatched out in June.  

Very sorry Sheeshshe, it sounds like you may have Marek's and your older hardier girl has better resistance built up and may have been vaccinated as a chick. Something to think about and look into.

I guess I'm not meant to keep silkies.  I've had 4 die in the last couple months.  Now my catdance roo is gone.  I can't seem to keep them alive.  I don't have trouble keeping my other chickens alive.  I've had them all along time.  These, I can't seem to keep alive.  :(  I have that one hen I got from someone a year and a half ago.  she is hardy, she just keeps kickin'.  everyone else, they just can't seem to stay alive.  2 got paralyzed and ended up dying, and I don't know what happened to the rooster.  prior to that, I lost 3 that I got from the same lady.  Right now all I have in Pompette, the one I've had for a year and a half, and her 3 babies (one baby died last week) , and 3 of the ones I hatched out in June.  

Mmm.. I would be looking at a different breeder. Sorry for your loss, it's especially hard with the little guys, cause they are usually real sweeties.

Mmm.. I would be looking at a different breeder. Sorry for your loss, it's especially hard with the little guys, cause they are usually real sweeties.
that's just the thing, the ones who have died have come from 3 separate breeders.and one of the chicks came from my own flock. I guess my hopes of breeding to sell chicks is out the window.

I've been reading up on Silkies- I plan to get some.

My question is: as docile and socialble Silkies are reputed to be, is having more than one roo an issue? Will they fight? I would prefer one roo and a couple of hens (ideally). If I were to buy online and the company only offers straight runs, and I end up with more than one male, will that be a problem? I've been going through my chicken breed books and even a Silkie book, and none of them make mention of keeping roos together.

Appreciate any advice!

--Mollie

I've been reading up on Silkies- I plan to get some. 

My question is: as docile and socialble Silkies are reputed to be, is having more than one roo an issue? Will they fight? I would prefer one roo and a couple of hens (ideally). If I were to buy online and the company only offers straight runs, and I end up with more than one male, will that be a problem? I've been going through my chicken breed books and even a Silkie book, and none of them make mention of keeping roos together.

Appreciate any advice!

--Mollie

Always just depends on the roos and number of girls. I have a silkie, sizzle, and big mixed roo outside together. The pen is huge and there are about 40 girls in there. So I have no problems at all with them. They also free range all day. We've had silkies grow up together that shocked us by being roos because they were so sweet to each other. ...but there a few roos out there that are just plain mean to other roos. Just the luck of the draw with roos together. You should be fine with enough hens/space...if not rehome any dominant ones.
1f609.png

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it since I would like to breed Silkies as well as a few other types. I guess with all things living, there are individual personality traits. Anyway, thank you for your insight.

I haven't had a problem with mine, but a friends silkie hens spent most of the summer bare backed because the roos out numbered them and they were over breed. The roos got along fine with each other.

Back
Top Bottom