Silkie thread!

My coronation crush their own eggs. It only works the other way round. Ie silkie hatching large fowl. I saved this one but as you can see the shell is crushed.

Now living happily with silkie momma.

Had the same thing happen, one chick survived and one didnt

It's heart breaking when the chick is fully formed. My theory is , when another hen comes round trying to get into the nest box, broody ' muscles ' down on her eggs in a bid to protect them and simply isn't aware of her own strength. I've only had it happen with my sussex breed.

You seem to do a lot wondering out aloud. My chickens have several huts and shelters in which to hide. I'm sure that 4 chickens are much easier to control, than 50+

Anyone that has had to deal with a hawk will know how cunning they are.
As you can see I have lots of shelter.

Yes, that is a beautiful setup you have - looks like Paradise for 50+chickens. And, No - 4 chickens is not easy either. Got to go to the doctor tomorrow first thing to check out my Black Silkie. She takes a couple limping steps and sits down so she's not foraging or getting around to eat outside. It's Sunday and can't take her for a vet visit today but 1st thing Monday morning to see what's up with her. This will be her 3rd vet visit in 9 months. She is always injuring her feet or toenails. This time she might have injured the leg/foot either jumping up to the nestbox or jumping down. None of the chickens will use the ramp! Grrrr! There's always something going on with this girl.

Back
Top Bottom