Silkie thread!

I'm in Ellijay. I've only been here 2 years originally a swamp rat from SC. I kinda think I know where Trenton is.
big_smile.png
:/. Lol

Near Cloudland Canyon. About 20 miles South of Chattanooga.

Last week I drove and hour and half to get some fertile silkie eggs to hatch in my classroom and it now looks like none of them are fertile. Day six and I can't see a single vein.

I am looking for some fertile eggs for my students to hatch. A mix of silkies would be great. If anyone has some "extra" hatching eggs they don't mind sending me, please let me know. If I find some fast enough we will still have time to hatch them. (NW Florida)

Reposting this b/c I was lost in the no man's zone at the bottom of the page.
wink.png
It's likely she will stop being broody when she gets moved. But if she is determined like sikies are known for she just may sit on them when you get her home. I recently got several silkies and 2 where broody. When I got them home they stopped. But I didn't bring their eggs. They where sitting on infertile rotten eggs. A couple actually busted when one hen was picked up. If you bring a nest or a box with pine shavings in it and set her eggs in it then her on them and close the box she just may stay on them when you get her home. What I would do is I would bring a nest with wood shavings in it and put that in a box. That way when she was moved to whatever pen or cage she was going into I could pick up nest, eggs and bird and set her where she will be raising her babies. I suggest it be a place she is alone so she wont be distracted by other nosey birds. She may become protective of her eggs against other nosey birds and stress her out more than necessary.

I usually put broody's to a place of their own when they're on eggs, in cool weather anyway. In the summer I just leave then in their pens. Hope this helps you.

Thanks so much
fl.gif
that she sticks. Any
It's likely she will stop being broody when she gets moved. But if she is determined like sikies are known for she just may sit on them when you get her home. I recently got several silkies and 2 where broody. When I got them home they stopped. But I didn't bring their eggs. They where sitting on infertile rotten eggs. A couple actually busted when one hen was picked up. If you bring a nest or a box with pine shavings in it and set her eggs in it then her on them and close the box she just may stay on them when you get her home. What I would do is I would bring a nest with wood shavings in it and put that in a box. That way when she was moved to whatever pen or cage she was going into I could pick up nest, eggs and bird and set her where she will be raising her babies. I suggest it be a place she is alone so she wont be distracted by other nosey birds. She may become protective of her eggs against other nosey birds and stress her out more than necessary.

I usually put broody's to a place of their own when they're on eggs, in cool weather anyway. In the summer I just leave then in their pens. Hope this helps you.

Thank you that was pretty much perfect information. My plan is to put her and her eggs in a medium sized dog crate cover it with a blanket to make it nice and dark for transport then leave them in it in my quarantine area to minimize the moving. Thanks again
fl.gif
that she sticks.

hey everyone just want to let yall know that my hen i was asking about yesterday seems to be doing good today thanks for all the help
this is her i know it aint a good pic ill try to gey some better pics

Oh SO CUTE! I hope it works!!

O.M.G. It's a silkie duck! Lol. That may be the cutest thing I have ever seen. I hope it does well with the orthotics. Silkies are tough little fluff balls. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks you guys! It's been an emotional week. First with loosing the battle trying to save a wry neck chick, and now discovering why this lil blue chick hasent been walking in a few days. I wish I knew what has caused this because she used to walk perfectly. I have since been giving her polyvisol a couple times a day and they all are given Vit-al in their water. I seperated this chick lastnight and put her in a box on the other side of the brooder so she can focus on getting better instead of getting trampled by the other chicks. She still seems to refuse to walk but I am hoping she'll perk up and try harder soon.

I think these are my prettiest babies so far. What do you all think? :)
Thanks! I thought it might be something like that but didnt think chicks needed grit so early? :( Can they ever eat too much grit? If I found some and put it in there next to their food?
You don't want to mix it in their food bowl, just have a separate bowl for it. They should only munch on it when needed.

HELP! ...  If it's not one thing its another.. :( I just check on my babies and noticed one of them has bad wry neck!! I dont know anything about it. I just did a quick google search. She looks horrible and keeps going in circles with her head completely twisted and laying on the side :( I just saw her try to eat still but she looks terrible and keeps flipping herelf on her back. Ive never heard of this condition. What do I do???! Another chick is limping on one leg:( And my single blue chick is still huddled on the ground and doesent want to walk. If I push its lil bottom it can walk slowly but it wants to lay down with its wings spread out. I dont know why im having such poor luck with my babies :( I probably made the mistake of letting my daughter hold all of them in her lap (kinda corraling them in) and if one jumped out she put in back in. I thought it was a good time to let her start handling them so that they learn to like being held. I watched her the whole time and she was very careful, i didnt see anything that might have hurt them. But today they look so bad :( What did I do wrong? Im so sad. I feel like im going to loose yet another chick or probably two. :( 
What you NEED to do is get vitamin E tablets WITH selenium. If you want I can PM you info on treatment for wry neck

Back
Top Bottom