Silkie thread!

Do Silkie Roosters get spurs?     :idunno

My little ' macho man ' certainly does. He flogged my ankle once. I had blood running down my leg. Lucky for him, he has learnt the error of his way and hasn't done it since.
I since have learnt not to hassle his girls out to point where he feels obligated to protect them. I now do my health checks under the cover of darkness. Far less stressful on them and me.

k will look around and talk to an ol farmer I know see if he knows. I will figure it out..
My silkies don't have to worry about flying things, I have it fixed so that they get out into the dog yard when they want. never had a problem yet, hope I wont either.
fl.gif

I only have 4 Silkies and am trying to Sell/trade 2 of them. They turned out to be boys I already have boys. I need girls. really sucks too cause I really like them, but oh well....
All my pens have covered runs they can get into whenever they want. I've had hawks try to get to them but flew into the wire mesh. A few years ago I let a pen of juvies out and when I went to put them up one was missing with no sign of feathers or anything. Then it happened again to a paint hen. Although they all have covered runs I aws letting them out regularly but not anymore. Only when I'm out with them

All my pens have covered runs they can get into whenever they want. I've had hawks try to get to them but flew into the wire mesh. A few years ago I let a pen of juvies out and when I went to put them up one was missing with no sign of feathers or anything. Then it happened again to a paint hen. Although they all have covered runs I aws letting them out regularly but not anymore. Only when I'm out with them
I don't blame ya one bit. I would really be upset if any of my hens or Roosters came up missing. I thank my LGD's every day.

My little ' macho man ' certainly does. He flogged my ankle once. I had blood running down my leg. Lucky for him, he has learnt the error of his way and hasn't done it since.
I since have learnt not to hassle his girls out to point where he feels obligated to protect them. I now do my health checks under the cover of darkness. Far less stressful on them and me.
Omg so cute!!!!! :D love all the colors!! :D

Never fails....

I plug in my incubator and someone goes broody. My girls have been laying well for the past couple of weeks, so I collect up eggs in hopes someone will get it in their mind to sit (because we all know how Silkies are). I waited patiently, and today I just couldn't hold the eggs anymore. So, I get the bator fired up and stable, mark the eggs and put them in. Now one of my hens has made a nest in the corner of the coop and she's growling and being a butt
roll.png

Of course I'll give her some eggs, but I'm going to wait a few days to make sure she's serious. This will be her first time being broody and she's my most "ditzy" hen, so I'm not sure how this is going to go.....ugh.

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom