Silkie thread!

I spoke too soon. She died last night so I put her under the tree at about 1:00 this morning. We tried everything we could, just wasn't destined to make it I guess. I hurt for my wife, she was supposed to pull through for her. She got really attached through all of it.

We can't always save them, but you did all that you could. Give your wife some extra cuddles today from the rest of us. :hugs

VERY good article re parasites but not helpful in the small dosage amounts needed for a single chicken dose.

My feed store doesn't carry Valbazen and only carries Safeguard in equine paste or in alfalfa pellets. Can paste be used orally for a chicken dose?

Have to check the pet stores to see if they carry Safeguard in a liquid form - probably percentages are formulated differently (for dogs) if its in a pet store.

Going through the rig-a-ma-role trying to figure out wormers and dosages is why I was so hooked on the easy use of Ivermectin paste (one Q-tip drop for each pound of bird weight under the wing) - so easy but this oral stuff is just mind-boggling and half the BYC recommended stuff isn't even carried in our stores. Yes - there's internet ordering but the shipping cost is outlandish.

My 3 girls are still laying well so I will hold off worm treatments until they either go broody or slow down laying before I treat them again - I hate throwing away good eggs because of worm treatments. I need time to figure out this worming nightmare! There's a HorseMart near us that will order anything for us if we give them the brand name and I may go with them if I can figure exactly what Valabazen or SafeGuard form to order - paste or liquid or ????

I'm pretty sure your Ivermectin and safeguard are for something other than poultry?

The safeguard 10% is 50mg/mL. So that is .5 cc for ever my kilo gram (2.2 pounds) of weight.
1 pound bird gets .25ish cc
If you have a 5 pound bird it gets 1cc.
This is all off label, and I'm not a vet, just relaying information I've viewed from several sources.
Depending on the type of worms, there's a different worming schedule.

Valbazen for sure takes care of *every* worm a chicken gets, and I was mistaken earlier when I said ivermectin for tapes, I was confusing it with, I think, dogs but it is used for Gapeworm in chickens.

This link gives you a good idea of the possible side effects of ivermectin , fenbendazole and albendazole
I personally don't use ivermectin as I have seen two cases of overdosing, resulting in death.
Interesting that whilst albendazole treats all chicken worms it is attributed to lower egg production.
I use panacure / safeguard.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2344&Itemid=2996

Valbazen is impossible to find - must be a prescription thing or just not available around us.

Talked with my local Horse Mart who carries Ivermectin and Pyrantel Pamoate in equine paste forms and said Pyrantel has more resistance problems and that Ivermectin is the best wormer with a lot less resistance which is why it is so popular right now. Safeguard and Pyrantel have been around so long that their ingredient formulas have resistance problems. Just thought I'd pass that along for any comments?

Meanwhile going to dawg to PM him for some input.

VERY good article re parasites but not helpful in the small dosage amounts needed for a single chicken dose. 

My feed store doesn't carry Valbazen and only carries Safeguard in equine paste or in alfalfa pellets.  [COLOR=0000FF]Can paste be used orally for a chicken dose?[/COLOR] 

Have to check the pet stores to see if they carry Safeguard in a liquid form - probably percentages are formulated differently (for dogs) if its in a pet store.

Going through the rig-a-ma-role trying to figure out wormers and dosages is why I was so hooked on the easy use of Ivermectin paste (one Q-tip drop for each pound of bird weight under the wing) - so easy but this oral stuff is just mind-boggling and half the BYC recommended stuff isn't even carried in our stores.  Yes - there's internet ordering but the shipping cost is outlandish.

My 3 girls are still laying well so I will hold off worm treatments until they either go broody or slow down laying before I treat them again - I hate throwing away good eggs because of worm treatments.  I need time to figure out this worming nightmare!  There's a HorseMart near us that will order anything for us if we give them the brand name and I may go with them if I can figure exactly what Valabazen or SafeGuard form to order - paste or liquid or ????

I'm pretty sure the paste is dosed at a pea size for bantams and that it is very hard to over dose with safeguard , unlike ivermectin . Check with @dawg53

Valbazen is a sheep product here.

http://coopersanimalhealth.com.au/label/sp/VALBAZEN_29101645.pdf

Last edited:

My feed store doesn't carry Valbazen and only carries Safeguard in equine paste or in alfalfa pellets.  [COLOR=0000FF]Can paste be used orally for a chicken dose?[/COLOR] 

Going through the rig-a-ma-role trying to figure out wormers and dosages is why I was so hooked on the easy use of Ivermectin paste (one Q-tip drop for each pound of bird weight under the wing) - so easy but this oral stuff is just mind-boggling and half the BYC recommended stuff isn't even carried in our stores.  Yes - there's internet ordering but the shipping cost is outlandish.

My 3 girls are still laying well so I will hold off worm treatments until they either go broody or slow down laying before I treat them again - I hate throwing away good eggs because of worm treatments.  I need time to figure out this worming nightmare!  There's a HorseMart near us that will order anything for us if we give them the brand name and I may go with them if I can figure exactly what Valabazen or SafeGuard form to order - paste or liquid or ????

The goat liquid will medicate more chickens. The 10% liquid goat wormer is the same strength as the 10% horse paste.

Each one is .5cc for 1kg (2.2 lbs.)
Valbazen is impossible to find - must be a prescription thing or just not available around us.

Talked with my local Horse Mart who carries Ivermectin and Pyrantel Pamoate in equine paste forms and said Pyrantel has more resistance problems and that Ivermectin is the best wormer with a lot less resistance which is why it is so popular right now.  Safeguard and Pyrantel have been around so long that their ingredient formulas have resistance problems.  Just thought I'd pass that along for any comments? 

Meanwhile going to dawg to PM him for some input.
Valbazen is something you have to order online, probably...I would have to.
pyrantel I have heard horrible things about using it in chickens.
I vermin has been used so ugh here in the US, it's useless as a wormer but works for mites and sucking lice. It's probably different in Australia.

Hi everyone. I purchased 3 white silkies from a friend who got them from a store from a hatchery. Now that they are about 25 weeks, one has a pea comb and another has a single comb..both of which I'm sure are rooaters considering their size compared to the last one who has no comb at all like a normal silkie except for just a bunch of fuzz

Is thia normal to have different types of combs?

Zelda is not feeling good I'm worried about her. She is standing funny not running to eat like the rest I thought she might be egg bound but couldn't feel any egg she was a little prolapsed so I stuck that back in. Had a bit of a dirty butt and I think she's the one that layed a few rubber eggs. She ate a few pieces of oyster shell for me and a few bites of scrambled egg. Any advice? Here she is standing funny with butt in the air.

Very sorry to hear of the losses lately. I two lost a loved old hen two days ago. And now Zelda's not well. Praying she's better in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom