Silkie thread!

Well went back out to check on her and right where I put her in the coop was another rubber egg. She back out walking around looking better now. I guess that was the problem and I couldn't feel it because it was shell less. I think I'll look for a good calcium supplement for her. I'm still worried.

Well went back out to check on her and right where I put her in the coop was another rubber egg. She back out walking around looking better now. I guess that was the problem and I couldn't feel it because it was shell less. I think I'll look for a good calcium supplement for her. I'm still worried.

I would put crushed oyster shell or calcium carbonate on free take in the coop and add a little buttermilk to her ration. What is the calcium level in her normal feed?

Babies are hatching! 2 out and one on its way. It had rolled out from under momma so I tucked it back under it was pipped and zipped. Hope it doesnt shrink wrap! Eek!here are the first 2 of 3, a splash and a blue. :)

Zelda is not feeling good I'm worried about her. She is standing funny not running to eat like the rest I thought she might be egg bound but couldn't feel any egg she was a little prolapsed so I stuck that back in. Had a bit of a dirty butt and I think she's the one that layed a few rubber eggs. She ate a few pieces of oyster shell for me and a few bites of scrambled egg. Any advice? Here she is standing funny with butt in the air.

have you ever wormed your birds? I think worms is the first thing that should be ruled out. Possibly mites/lice could be an issue as well.

I'm pretty sure the paste is dosed at a pea size for bantams and that it is very hard to over dose with safeguard , unlike ivermectin . Check with @dawg53

Valbazen is a sheep product here.

http://coopersanimalhealth.com.au/label/sp/VALBAZEN_29101645.pdf

I've had a dialog going with dawg53 but nothing concrete yet. So far he thinks skin application wormers are a joke so I've been using Ivermectin this past year for nothing? Hmmm - Funny because Ivermectin is what my breeder recommended and my Silkie's fecal sample was clear of parasites just last month. He seems pretty opinionated but I'm giving him a chance.

Is Valbazen a prescription only since I can't find it in feed stores around here in my SoCal area and our Horse Mart is having a closing sale and won't be around after next week so I can't order from them.

The Horse Mart said SafeGuard and Pyrantel have been around for so long (since the 1940s on) with built up resistance that the somewhat newer Ivermectin was now the more effective choice for worming - of course they never had a customer wanting to worm chickens before either. dawg53 on the other hand said the Horse Mart didn't know what they were talking about and that Ivermectin has been around a long time. After some more dialog with dawg53 maybe I'll settle on the best product and then order online whatever it turns out to be even if I have to pay the outlandish shipping.

I'm calling my vet's office tomorrow also to see if he has a recommendation. He's saved my Silkie more than once this past year and I really should've thought to call him first LOL. Of course, this post and all you lovely people have been wonderful too!

have you ever wormed your birds? I think worms is the first thing that should be ruled out. Possibly mites/lice could be an issue as well.

I have a 3-year old good-laying Partridge Silkie that always lays a deformed or shell-less egg right before going broody but it's usually just one or two eggs at most and then stops to go broody. Happens every time and then I know her broody period is on its way.

I would put crushed oyster shell or calcium carbonate on free take in the coop and add a little buttermilk to her ration. What is the calcium level in her normal feed?

I have oyster shell in the coop for them I am feeding chick starter and flock raiser. Ran rooster booster thru the water four days in a row took a two day break putting it back in tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

I have a 3-year old good-laying Partridge Silkie that always lays a deformed or shell-less egg right before going broody but it's usually just one or two eggs at most and then stops to go broody.  Happens every time and then I know her broody period is on its way.

Haven't wormed lately, I don't think worms would cause rubber eggs tho. She might be wanting to go broody her chicks are pretty big now.

Quote: Not doing one. His poop was normal he just was chirping for my husband and would calm down a bit when I held him. I am pretty sure that he was not eating or drinking. I had this happen before with an Orpington and we did a necro and had testing done and it was found that DH going away for a week was what did it. If I as to have another bird die I will do a necro and have the tests, but at this time he is the only one that was doing anything odd.

Quote:
Thank you.

Quote:

For what testing cost us we would need more than 1 bird to die. Buff was very attached to my husband. He went all over the property with my husband and would pitch a fit if he was not with him.

Quote:
I am sad, but more that my husband lost his buddy. I tend to be the one to have my favorites die, so this is just not the norm around here.

Hi everyone. I purchased 3 white silkies from a friend who got them from a store from a hatchery. Now that they are about 25 weeks, one has a pea comb and another has a single comb..both of which I'm sure are rooaters considering their size compared to the last one who has no comb at all like a normal silkie except for just a bunch of fuzz

Is thia normal to have different types of combs?

Yes its normal for hatchery birds. Breeder birds and show silkies actually have walnut combs. But hatchery's go for quantity and not quality. So genetic booboos happen .

Back
Top Bottom