Silkie thread!

They are soooo cute!
love.gif
I don't know if I should let my girls go broody? what do you guys/gals think?
idunno.gif

Try it to see if you like it - it's a responsibility to make sure the broody is taken out of her nest at least a couple times a day. We took our broody Silkies clear across the yard so they had to get exercise by foraging, eating, drinking, and running back to their nests. I've had chickens I thought were broody but were just depressed from molting or ill so it wouldn't hurt to make sure a girl is truly broody or if there's some other issue. Good luck!

Yes, they always show color late, even my chicks that end up being dark once the splashing comes in. I looked at them in the sun today, and one of them has one little splash right in the middle of its back. Other than that, they're all white everywhere else. My splash are bred to blues, so you'd think they'd look darker earlier, but, I dunno what their deal is :p

I was positively shocked yesterday to see just how tenacious my Silkie cockerel, Gingy, is. I have three cockerels...Gingy and Tika (both Silkies) and Shadow, a larger Barred Rock. Shadow and Gingy got into a little tiff and suddenly Gingy grabbed Shadow by the neck and wouldn't let go until Shadow stopped squawking and surrendered completely. He didn't actually hurt Shadow physically as I saw no injuries to the skin, but he sure did humble him. Given what a lover Gingy is I NEVER expected him to be the dominant male in the group. I admit...I'm really impressed with him.

OK, So yesterday I found my I believe 2 month old silkie chick having trouble walking because its legs did not work. I then moved it into a metal aviary inside where my doves live and put it on the bottom with food and water but came out this morning to find it dead. Is it some sort of disease that killed the chick, could it kill my call ducks, doves or other silkies?

The only way to know for sure would be to have a necropsy done. If you have a local college, they might do it. If not, you may want to call your local Ag extension and see if they can direct you to someone who can perform one. I think leg paralysis is a symptom of Mereks (not trying to scare you or anything). But, with Silkies and their vaulted skulls and such, it could've just been a neurological issue, or perhaps a vitamin deficiency. Since you put it in your aviary with your doves, a necropsy is a good idea, I'd definitely want to know if its something contagious.

You might also want to consider buying or building yourself a hospital/quarantine cage or hutch, that way you don't have to house suspected sick or injured birds with others.

Good luck!

Ok, yeah they are definitely bloody they peck you if you get to close and they hoard the eggs under them. They run to the feeder or waterer and then run back to the nest!:cd

Back
Top Bottom