Silkie thread!

so people say you cant wing sex silkie but i have two and there very different from each other and was any one new if they could sex them for me, if not in June i should know :|
this is jack unless its a girl, i don't think i like the name Jackie

this is tubs

big difference between the two.

BYC is the best, i kept annoying my breeder by asking all types of questions. and the people are amazing. i'm always existed to go and check mt subscriptions.
thanks to all

At 4.5 months, I have 3 known females and 5 known males. There are 2 I can't decide on. One especially because the top roo grabs the girls and makes them scream and he did it to this one. The other one is a big black silkie, so it's probably male, but I'm not willing to decide yet. Hmmm.

can anyone help me out I got these 2 partridge silkies at the fair not sure how old they are or the sex of them any guesses ?????

Is this the appropriate place to ask for help with what to do with my silkies in the winter? I've searched the site and am not sure where to post. I'm obviously a new egg

Silkies are not known to be cold hardy. They can take some cold. I live in Florida, so someone up north should reply to this , LOL

I am trying to decide if I can put straw bales around their coop (no electricity near by) or if I should buy a rabbit cage and bring them indoors? I know their not cold hardy like my other chickens, so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do for them. It is also possible for me to move their coop (no small job) up by the house so that I can run an extension cord into their coop with a brooding lamp. I read that they need to be able to get out of the heat if it's too much. They have a small coop (says it is for 5-6 birds) and there are two silkies in there. No way would the coop fit 5-6 birds comfortably. Anyhow, I'm not sure they would be able to get out of the heat without going out of the coop to the pen area. My silkies are not free range like the rest of the flock. I guess I'm a bit overprotective of them and am afraid the bigger birds will be mean to them.

I think my two silkie hens might be broody AGAIN. They both went broody this spring and each hatched just one chick, but now they've been laying on the nest for the past few days all day (but still laying eggs...). So is it normal to go broody this frequently or are they just lazy or doing it to get away from the other chickens??

My two hens hang out in the nestbox quite a while when laying, or when they are broody, or when they are molting -- they like the seclusion during any of these situations. So a possible yes to all your questions. A couple times a day we make sure to get them off the nest to eat/drink/dust-bathe before they return to the nestbox. We put them at the far end of the yard so they forage, dust-bathe, eat, drink, and they get exercise on their running return to the nestbox. We never pick them up holding them at their reproductive sides but scoop them up with one hand under their chest between their legs and use the other hand gently over their wings and gently against our torso when we carry them - this is the "judge's hold" that we use to carry all our hens. For some breeds it requires practice to accustom them while others like Silkies it's an easier task. Molting makes chickens miserable and lethargic so holding/handling them during molt will make them uncomfortable; other than molting time they are easy to handle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom