Silkie thread!

I have noticed, at least with my partridges, that most of them can be feather sexed when their adult plumage starts coming in. The males get vibrant patches of orange, red and gold. The females tend to be a more demure brown or blond. I say most of them, because I have gotten a few males that are on the lighter side, and a few females that are on the redder side. But, it does work for most of them, still have to wait and grow them out for a bit first though.

The Roos certainly do have the redder plumage , but that is generally only obvious once the hormones kick in. By that time there are other indicators quite obvious in regard to sex. So I'll stick with my response, ' not a reliable sexing method ' .

The Roos certainly do have the redder plumage , but that is generally only obvious once the hormones kick in. By that time there are other indicators quite obvious in regard to sex. So I'll stick with my response, ' not a reliable sexing method ' .

Yea, I pretty sure, with Silkies, the only reliable method is when they crow or lay an egg. I definitely don't disagree with that statement, not one bit :p

Hello, I have two Silkies somewhere around 3 months old, all of my hens are free range but go in the coop and roost at night. I'm wondering since Silkies don't roost what should I have available for them to sleep in at night? They just cuddle up together out in the open for now.

Hello, I have two Silkies somewhere around 3 months old, all of my hens are free range but go in the coop and roost at night. I'm wondering since Silkies don't roost what should I have available for them to sleep in at night? They just cuddle up together out in the open for now.

Hi, welcome. Silkies don't tolerate drenching rains and are easy prey to just about any predator .
Best to give them a small coop with a good undercover area with low roosts or a ramp / ladder to get up off the damp ground. Enjoy.

A lower roosting bar eould be nice.....I have a few Silkies and Showgirls who do like to roost. Also, a ramp to a higher platform would work.

When you get into breeding silkies for showing, you will notice a definite difference in feather quality. The ones bred for show ring have a density to their feathers that you won't get on hatchery stock. Its hard to describe unless you get your hands on them. Its almost like there is twice as many feathers jammed packed in the space and they are so long and silky in comparison. I know when getting mine ready for shows, I have to take a comb through since they almost have a double coat like some dogs.

When you get into breeding silkies for showing, you will notice a definite difference in feather quality. The ones bred for show ring have a density to their feathers that you won't get on hatchery stock. Its hard to describe unless you get your hands on them. Its almost like there is twice as many feathers jammed packed in the space and they are so long and silky in comparison. I know when getting mine ready for shows, I have to take a comb through since they almost have a double coat like some dogs.
Beautiful silkies! Just out of curiosity, where do you usually show yours?

Back
Top Bottom