Silkie thread!

2 months and thanks!!!
Snowball doesn't have a big wattle but has head fluff (don't know what to call it!!) of a rooster! Please help @QueenMisha

Last edited:
My silkie cockerel started crowing today! And for his first crow he's quite loud.
wee.gif
woot.gif

2 months and thanks!!!
Snowball doesn't have a big wattle but has head fluff (don't know what to call it!!) of a rooster! Please help @QueenMisha

Two months? Well I'm pretty iffy on this one. The body looks pretty round and pullet-like but that comb and wattle is pretty good sized for only 8 weeks. I'd lean toward cockerel but really it's too early to tell.

Well Hey Geuss I Have Been Very Busy And Have Not Been Able To Check In. My Broody Silkie Hen Has Been Laying On All Her 7 Eggs 4 Are Unknown To Tell And 3 Have Chicks. The One That Got Cracked It Was Layed Last Month I For got what day she layed it on and today i checked and it is all black idk how many days are left i hope it lives it will be my first silkie i have hatched ever. I Will give it till next month in the middle of the month if it dont hatch then it might of died.

I have several Anatolian Shepherds and they are the very best guardian dogs!

I love all the flock/guardian (not working/herding) dog breeds -- Pyrenees, Anatolians, Caucasian Shepherds, Ovcharkas, Maremmas, etc., because unlike working/herding breeds the guardian breeds don't chase after predators but stay with the flock to protect it. We had great Rottweiler herding dogs around horses but they had the tendency to leave the herd to chase after potential predators/invaders. There is something very protective about guardian breeds to stay with their owner/family members, their herd, their flock, and most have great instinctive restraint to resist abandoning their post to chase after invaders as most other breeds will tend to do. Although the protective instinct seems instilled in the guardian breeds it does not necessarily mean that every individual will be exactly the same -- some individuals within a guardian breed may be inherently better at the task than others. I would LOVE to have a Pyrenees or Ovcharka but because all the guardian breeds are in the 100+ weight range we can't keep one in our tiny cottage backyard. They require a sizeable property for exercise or have long walks every day so we opted not to get a dog. If we had a couple acres of free-range birds or had a farm I'd get a couple guardian dogs to work in tandem on the property. They may sit among the flock members and look lazy but they are ever-alert and on watch. I have not had experience with other guardian breeds but know owners of Pyrenees and Ovcharka and it is amazing how children roll around the floor and climb onto these tolerant gentle giants. In lieu of a flock, these dogs treat the family members as their "flock" duty. I had an occasion to dog-sit an Ovcharka who had no problem assessing that a stray rabbit in the yard was no threat and just watched the little bunny hopping along with no tendency to chase after it. Later that afternoon a coyote came to the backyard fence and the Ovcharka stood in front of me watching the coyote and never left my side until the coyote finally moved on. However, my DD's Pitbull mix left me to go chasing after a possum and no command training in the world would recall her!!!

My silkie cockerel started crowing today! And for his first crow he's quite loud.
wee.gif
woot.gif

My Silkie cockerel was loud and wouldn't shut-up and we're not zoned for cockerels -- had to re-home the little guy and he was so-o-o sweet! We did however keep his sister and she's my oldest hen at 5 yrs old!

Do hatchery Silkies lay for a shorter time than others? I only got like 30-40 eggs from my girl she is about 1.5 years old. I don't really mind it cause she's my favorite. But I'm wondering if she's laying elsewhere, she often sits in the coops nesting boxes like she's going to lay but I never find anything. She laid a super tiny egg (fart egg!) the last time I found one and that was it!.:(
Edited to say: her earlobes have turned to a very dull grey color as well as her feathers... I'm thinking this means she's done laying as well?

Last edited:
I love all the flock/guardian (not working/herding) dog breeds -- Pyrenees, Anatolians, Caucasian Shepherds, Ovcharkas, Maremmas, etc., because unlike working/herding breeds the guardian breeds don't chase after predators but stay with the flock to protect it.  We had great Rottweiler herding dogs around horses but they had the tendency to leave the herd to chase after potential predators/invaders.  There is something very protective about guardian breeds to stay with their owner/family members, their herd, their flock, and most have great instinctive restraint to resist abandoning their post to chase after invaders as most other breeds will tend to do.  Although the protective instinct seems instilled in the guardian breeds it does not necessarily mean that every individual will be exactly the same -- some individuals within a guardian breed may be inherently better at the task than others.  I would LOVE to have a Pyrenees or Ovcharka but because all the guardian breeds are in the 100+ weight range we can't keep one in our tiny cottage backyard.  They require a sizeable property for exercise or have long walks every day so we opted not to get a dog.  If we had a couple acres of free-range birds or had a farm I'd get a couple guardian dogs to work in tandem on the property.  They may sit among the flock members and look lazy but they are ever-alert and on watch.  I have not had experience with other guardian breeds but know owners of Pyrenees and Ovcharka and it is amazing how children roll around the floor and climb onto these tolerant gentle giants.  In lieu of a flock, these dogs treat the family members as their "flock" duty.  I had an occasion to dog-sit an Ovcharka who had no problem assessing that a stray rabbit in the yard was no threat and just watched the little bunny hopping along with no tendency to chase after it.  Later that afternoon a coyote came to the backyard fence and the Ovcharka stood in front of me watching the coyote and never left my side until the coyote finally moved on.  However, my DD's Pitbull mix left me to go chasing after a possum and no command training in the world would recall her!!!

Maybe it depends on breeding or training or something but our dog goes ballistic over coyotes and if we let him outside, I'm sure would chase. Although we've had one in the yard once and he was on a rope outside and we still managed to get him to come inside so maybe he does have some of the protective thing. But he is also terrible at accessing threats and goes crazy over deer, rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, chases all of them if he's outside. Barks at weird noises, even moving furniture around upstairs, hate HATES loud noises, terrified. Lunges at the door, barking his head off, at delivery people and guests. And recently nearly bit the vet when he never used to be bad. But I believe it's our fault, didn't relaize how protective the breed was, didn't socialize him at all, and also messed up some training and made some things worse like the vet thing. He is half Black Lab and half Great Pyrenees. But yeah basically my point is he does chase and he also used to run off. I've heard roaming is common for Pyrenees. But he does tend to sleep on the bed all day or if he's outside he will be on guard the whole time unless hes dust bathing so that's good. I think he does eventually come back too. Maybe they run it off or only go within sight or hearing of the flock then come home? If we ever get another we will take the time to properly train him and make sure he knows how to access threats, what level of aggression is necessary and when it's allowed, taught to be called off when we say so etc. Too much hassle and liability. He's a sweet sweet dog and actually usually does come when called outside and is fine once people come inside but you can't get him away from the window for anything. Well, he will back down for food or if you clip a leash though but getting a leash on can be dangerous lol we admittedly haven't worked with him very much but if you can get him away he is good and will stay put but it's getting him out of that mindset that is tricky. We didn't realize how protective they were. Just saw a cute puppy. But of course that could have been resolved with socialization and training but oh well. Sorry, I'm rambling. Are true ones supposed to stay home though?

KDOGG331:

It may not be too late for your dog. Obviously, it is best to train from a pup, but I used to do rescue work and have worked with my share of poorly socialized adult dogs. Its harder than with a puppy, but can you usually achieve some improvement. There is a lot of info out there but it might be worthwhile to see if you can get a professional trainer. It can be expensive but if it is even possible financially, it may be worth it to have a more stable dog that minds. If that's out of the question, it may be a matter of baby steps (don't put anybody in a dangerous situation) and helping the dog to understand his place in the pack. You are the boss and he needs to realize that so when you say no, he listens. He may never be comfortable in some situations but he can likely be taught to stay (at least to a degree). It would be safer for everyone if he can be controlled. Most dogs can be improved, but I've met a very few unstable ones that don't belong in a normal household. I assume he''s not aggressive toward you or the family? What happens when you try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do? Does he ignore you? Any aggression toward you? What do you mean by it is dangerous to try to get a leash on him? It does sound positive that he is okay with people once you let them in and that just may be the kind of personality he has. Most dogs will bark when someone they don't know approaches the house, The trick is to get them to stop when you say so. The lab in him will likely make him want to chase other animals. And that can be really tough to break. But he can be taught to stop barking and lay down (at least in the house). He may always be suspicious of new people, but he can be taught to and stop barking after a few barks and stay. Every dog need to learn "leave it". Don't give up on him just because he is an adult. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Back
Top Bottom