Silkie thread!

[/IMG][/IMG]

This is such a beautiful Silkie! Wow!!!! Where did you get her?!

Hey everybody - just had a question for those of you who show. I know that black in the wings/tail of Buffs is considered a fault, but can it be offset by excellent type? I'm sure the bird will place lower than any bird without this defect, but if she's got really nice type, would it be worth showing her? It's in her wings, tail, and she has a single pure black breast feather (which I think is super cute but would of course be plucked prior to show).

I tried to get a good picture but from what anyone can tell is this a single.comb i love the color non the less it just looks like it is becoming more walnut type each week like it it squashed up more if that makes any since . I still have him almost rehomed because not to have roos but he and his friend are kitchen chickens now in and out with the dogs lol

Last edited:

I tried to get a good picture but from what anyone can tell is this a single.comb i love the color non the less it just looks like it is becoming more walnut type each week like it it squashed up more if that makes any since . I still have him almost rehomed because not to have roos but he and his friend are kitchen chickens now in and out with the dogs lol

It does look like a single comb, or maybe some weird walnut/single mixed up comb, either way it appears to be incorrect. He's very handsome though!

I once got some supposedly purebred Silkie chicks, from two different breeders, that had straight combs so I had to sell them as Silkie crosses. To me if a bird has some traits but not all traits for a specific breed, they are crosses and should not be called purebred. Some might call them pet quality but I just call them crossbreeds because having the wrong defining characteristics for a breed does not make them purebred in my rule book. When I see listings for Silkies that don't fully resemble the Silkie breed I tend to think the seller is being dishonest and I would not trust them but then again I have trust issues. I once had a free rooster that came with some nice hens but he had a straight comb so he had to be replaced for breeding purposes.

I have never hatched a Silkie with a disqualification other than toe issues so those are the only ones that I have sold as pet quality Silkies. I might call mixed colors pet quality as well because of all the generic surprises that would come out if they were bred but at least they meet the SOP for type even if the color is a fault. I only have BBS so I can have more than one color and still breed true colors but at one time I had a red/buff rooster and had to sell all his offspring due to the red color leakage I did not want carrying on for multiple generations.

I don't show but I try to breed as if I were showing so people can show chicks they get from me. I figure that if I am going through the trouble of hatching then I want the best quality chicks I can hatch. There are plenty of breeder and show quality Silkies that make great pets so there is really no reason to breed pet quality Silkies, especially when they are not true to type. Hatcheries may do it but my reputation is important to me so I don't want to hatch anything that has no reproductive value. Too bad I can't hatch mostly pullets because Silkie roosters have such low value that they don't get to live long unless they are exceptional quality.

Lil Peeps, I got her from a gentleman near Oshkosh, WI. I leave near Green Bay, so I would call that localish. lol.
He had several colors. I also have her little sister and a Showgirl cockerel the same color. I think they're beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom