Silkie thread!

Just so you can compare, kellyloveschad, here are some of my blue partridges:

This young cockerel looks similar to Freddie Mac, no? Except he isn't frizzled, examples below.

Blue partridge frizzled Sizzle pullet. That's a very light blue partridge frizzled Silkie behind her.

Blue partridge frizzle Silkie pullet.

Blue smooth Sizzle pullet on the left, blue partridge frizzled Sizzle cockerel on the right.
And to hopefully show the difference between smooth and frizzled Silkies, splash (smooth) Silkie on top, splash frizzled Silkie below.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just so you can compare, kellyloveschad, here are some of my blue partridges:

This young cockerel looks similar to Freddie Mac, no? Except he isn't frizzled, examples below.

Blue partridge frizzled Sizzle pullet. That's a very light blue partridge frizzled Silkie behind her.

Blue partridge frizzle Silkie pullet.

Blue smooth Sizzle pullet on the left, blue partridge frizzled Sizzle cockerel on the right.
And to hopefully show the difference between smooth and frizzled Silkies, splash (smooth) Silkie on top, splash frizzled Silkie below.

I hope this helps.

thank you so much for your help every one says something different and I just want to know if down the line she can keep a baby not to sell for me!! but as of now I don't think Freddie will be a good mom idk if its being lowest on the pecking order or that steve and roo already claimed them but she tries to bite them!!! steve is so freaking sweet tho!!! I love your last one and snow whites black or blue feathers are white at the base I pulled one out tring to grab her!!

how hardie are silkies?? i was thinking about fully inclosing a outdoor area in the winter maybe the sides with tarps so it will be wind resistant??? also make sure I keep the snow out??? I feel bad locking them in a coop two months ..

how hardie are silkies?? i was thinking about fully inclosing a outdoor area in the winter maybe the sides with tarps so it will be wind resistant??? also make sure I keep the snow out??? I feel bad locking them in a coop two months ..

The answer to this question very much depends on who you ask. But, here's how I see it. Silkies are hardy little birds. They're still chickens, they preen their feathers and spread oil over them just like other chickens. I don't do anything special for mine. My run is not covered, and I open the door every day regardless of the weather. If they want to stay in, they can. If they want to go out, they can (and they usually do, and get all muddy and terrible looking). The only thing that seems to particularly bother them is the wind, if its windy, they stay inside. But if its raining, sleeting or snowing, they're out toodling around, doing their little chicken things. Lots of folks say they aren't hardy, they're feathers don't shed water (that's why they spread oil over their feathers to waterproof them), but I just don't see it. I've even gone out in the rain and stuck my fingers down in their feathers. Know what I found? They looked like drowned rats on the outside, but under that, next to the skin, they were still dry. So, I let them decide what they want to do.
This is opinion, but if someone has a sensitive flock of Silkies, they've bred them to be that way or they've purchased birds that are genetically inferior. And I wouldn't buy any birds from such a breeder.

If you live in an area that sees a lot of snow, it might be worth it to partially enclose it just for your own convenience. I've never met anyone who actually enjoys shoveling snow. My coop sits on a hill, so I just clear the door when it gets deep and call it a day.

Last edited:
​thank you so much for your help every one says something different and I just want to know if down the line she can keep a baby not to sell for me!! but as of now I don't think Freddie will be a good mom idk if its being lowest on the pecking order or that steve and roo already claimed them but she tries to bite them!!! steve is so freaking sweet tho!!! I love your last one and snow whites black or blue feathers are white at the base I pulled one out tring to grab her!!

You're welcome. And believe me, I know! Sounds like Snow White is splash, my favorite variety :)

The answer to this question very much depends on who you ask. But, here's how I see it. Silkies are hardy little birds. They're still chickens, they preen their feathers and spread oil over them just like other chickens. I don't do anything special for mine. My run is not covered, and I open the door every day regardless of the weather. If they want to stay in, they can. If they want to go out, they can (and they usually do, and get all muddy and terrible looking). The only thing that seems to particularly bother them is the wind, if its windy, they stay inside. But if its raining, sleeting or snowing, they're out toodling around, doing their little chicken things. Lots of folks say they aren't hardy, they're feathers don't shed water (that's why they spread oil over their feathers to waterproof them), but I just don't see it. I've even gone out in the rain and stuck my fingers down in their feathers. Know what I found? They looked like drowned rats on the outside, but under that, next to the skin, they were still dry. So, I let them decide what they want to do.
This is opinion, but if someone has a sensitive flock of Silkies, they've bred them to be that way or they've purchased birds that are genetically inferior. And I wouldn't buy any birds from such a breeder.

If you live in an area that sees a lot of snow, it might be worth it to partially enclose it just for your own convenience. I've never met anyone who actually enjoys shoveling snow. My coop sits on a hill, so I just clear the door when it gets deep and call it a day.

I live in south bend Indiana!!! lol we get feet of snow and ---- wind chills I would never fin my chickens in that!!lol

Are your toenails painted? My chickens love my painted nails lol

I sit with mine on a daily basis and I catch them checking out my painted toenails and quickly tuck them away or cover them up because they have pecked at them before!
1f602.png

I got my first pair of Silkies as day old babies yesterday! Here they are with my baby, Palmer! They are her babies! There's something about a Yorkie and her Silkies! Welcome home Sid and Stella :love

Cuteness overload!
1f60d.png

Thats the best I could do she a fast little booger! ! Everything was a blob
Just so you can compare, kellyloveschad, here are some of my blue partridges: This young cockerel looks similar to Freddie Mac, no? Except he isn't frizzled, examples below. Blue partridge frizzled Sizzle pullet. That's a very light blue partridge frizzled Silkie behind her. Blue partridge frizzle Silkie pullet. Blue smooth Sizzle pullet on the left, blue partridge frizzled Sizzle cockerel on the right. And to hopefully show the difference between smooth and frizzled Silkies, splash (smooth) Silkie on top, splash frizzled Silkie below. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Talking about hardy silkies. I've got a few, have had them in the coop and run for the winter. We get pretty harsh winters here. We live down from a canyon, soo, that wind every single morning in the wither can be hard..it feels a whole lot colder than it really is. Even my LF stay in the coop until it settles down for the day. :)

My SG did very well last yr. though the winter..I worried about that Naked Neck. Here she is, she is a smooth SG. Just came out of being a mom.

I had a frizzle do well last yr too through the winter. She looks like she has two or three coats on!

My silkies have their own pen. I do use heat once it drops into the low teens.

Everyone seemed to enjoy that paint! Here is a SG Rooster Paint I had. He was beautiful.

Just a cockerel here.

Back
Top Bottom