Silkie thread!

Since you have more than one feeding station, keep grower feed in one station, layer feed in another station, and just oyster shell/lime/or food-grade calcium carbonate in a third feeding station.  The pullets/hens will choose the most nutritious feed their body needs -- sometimes they go for the grower, or higher protein game feed, or sometimes just the layer feed and sometimes all.  I have organic layer Scratch N Peck, organic 3-grain Scratch N Peck (3 grains only), oyster shell, calcium carbonate, and wild bird seed as a treat to scratch after in the dirt -- in addition to cut-up fresh greens/produce, mealworms, raw shelled sunflower seeds, etc, and I have female ages from 5 months to 5 yrs together (Silkies and Breda).  They seem to eat the stuff their body needs at the time.  When my hens are not laying eggs they never touch the oyster shell.  But they start eating it extra when they go back to laying again.  My breeder said she leaves out feed from grower up to layer feed out for her juveniles and they choose what they need.  If you leave out just one type of feed like grower only then the layers would suffer nutrition and vice versa so having 2 or 3 types of feed out at different stations will ensure all bases covered for a mixed age flock.  Hope this helps.

I hope your rescue of batteries goes well.  The poor things are engineered to exhaust themselves laying so that after two years they are poor layers or in ill health  My friend rescued 3 of them and all died before a year of having them poor things!  They require additional chicken vitamin supplementation -- I recommend Rooster Booster granules added to wet feed or mixed into cooked organic brown rice.  Since I have only 3 hens at the moment I've additionally been giving them one drop of children's no-iron Poly-Vi-Sol liquid vitamin drop on the side of their beak to lick up with their tongue -- 1 or 2x a week to ensure they are consuming some vitamins into their diet.  I have a sneaky Silkie that will eat all her feed but leave all the Rooster Booster vitamin granules behind in the feed dish!  She is one chicken I have to make sure gets Poly-Vi-Sol supplementation since I can see she is ignoring her chicken vitamins!
Thank you for the information,

Hey guys. I'm brooding some silkie chicks that are about 4 weeks now. In the summer id be putting them outside already. Since its now fall I'm not sure when I should put them out. My standards usually about 6 weeks but I know silkies are more fragile. Our temps right now are in the upper 60s during the day and the high 40s at night. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

What is this under this silkies neck? That's is the waddle right? Is that a way to sex them?

We're pretty new and still learning. :)

Our other 4 don't have as pronounced skin flaps as this one.

Does that help determine if it's a hen or roo?

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm brooding some silkie chicks that are about 4 weeks now. In the summer id be putting them outside already. Since its now fall I'm not sure when I should put them out. My standards usually about 6 weeks but I know silkies are more fragile. Our temps right now are in the upper 60s during the day and the high 40s at night. Thanks. :)

We have 2 5 week chicks, a 7 and a 9 week chick. They stay in the broader and only are out under our watch. They are content. Wing in the heated broader still but do really enjoy their outside time.

Usually with 60-75 temps here in Illinois.

What is this under this silkies neck? That's is the waddle right? Is that a way to sex them?

We're pretty new and still learning. :)

Our other 4 don't have as pronounced skin flaps as this one.

Does that help determine if it's a hen or roo?
yes wattle, with other breeds it would help with gender. experts here will have to help with that

I'm second guessing myself on my sweet "Buddy". He's about 5 months and I've always thought he was a cockerel. (Larger comb) I'd really appreciate it if the experts could take a look.

I'd also like any insight regarding his beak. Became "crooked" at about 3 months, but since he's the chunkiest of this clutch I don't think it bothers him. It also seems to align with the bottom fine.......

Just as a reference, these are his sisters.....just guessing

And this is his brother.
I think what's throwing me off are the streamers on the paint, were Buddy's aren't as prevalent.
Sorry for all the pics but I really love these guys! Thanks for any advice.

......Trying not to be to annoying.......but would still love
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
any advice.........

......Trying not to be to annoying.......but would still love
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
any advice.........

Buddy looks like a hen to me, no streamers from the comb or tail prevalent, the comb doesn't look too big either, but a lot of that would depend on how old the bird is, how old is Buddy? It'll be a lot easier to decipher with age, I'm guessing under 5 months since he's probably not crowing yet! Lol

I thought I would get a couple of photos of my mums before they go. It's fall here!! My little girl didn't know what to think of those smelly things.
PRECIOUS pictures! Thanks so much for sharing! Your little girl is soo cute! She put a smile on my face! I have to add that the flowers are very beautiful too! Aren't God's creations so amazing?!

Last edited:
Buddy looks like a hen to me, no streamers from the comb or tail prevalent, the comb doesn't look too big either, but a lot of that would depend on how old the bird is, how old is Buddy? It'll be a lot easier to decipher with age, I'm guessing under 5 months since he's probably not crowing yet! Lol

He's just over 5 months. Neither him or the paint have crowed. At this point it's a pet regardless. Whenever I'm out in the yard "it's" very inquisitive about everything I'm doing. That's why it's my little buddy.......
1f60b.png

Back
Top Bottom