Silkie thread!

Do you know that you can't garauntee shipped eggs will hatch? It doesn't mean it's their fault. What the post office does with the box after they ship them could be the difference between a decent hatch rate, and a no hatch rate.

I average 30-50% on shipped eggs... and that's been because i've been lucky so far that the eggs have been packed REALLY well... but I still lose most of them.  (And, this is me counting the ones that are viable at lock down and alive at lock down. Not the ones I start with in the incubator.)
Yes, I am aware of that. The guineafowl were shipped as well. This is the second shipment from the same breeder that has been a bust, or close to it. That's why I'd never get more eggs from them. I have around a 50% hatch rate on my other shipped eggs, or better if it's somebody on here. Maybe 20% were my fault as I tried a new incubator which doesn't hold temperature. I am certain that the company's chicks are just fine to get, if I want to pay shipping for live birds.

Sorry if I offended. I know it's not entirely the shippers fault most of the time.

Yes, I am aware of that. The guineafowl were shipped as well. This is the second shipment from the same breeder that has been a bust, or close to it. That's why I'd never get more eggs from them. I have around a 50% hatch rate on my other shipped eggs, or better if it's somebody on here. Maybe 20% were my fault as I tried a new incubator which doesn't hold temperature. I am certain that the company's chicks are just fine to get, if I want to pay shipping for live birds.

Sorry if I offended. I know it's not entirely the shippers fault most of the time.
Don't get me wrong - I just had all my geese eggs be a bust, and it's always a gamble on shipped eggs. :( even if it's NOT the post offices fault.. but I would listen to your instincts if you think the breeder's a bust.

I've had some good luck with my shipped silkie eggs, so i'm going to be order another batch at the end of nov.

Can anyone help me tell what the sex of my chicks are???

This is snow white

This is north my daughters bird

This is krewalla

This is sleeping beauty

This is dixie watching for the bold eagle that her and my rooster scared away!

Just wondering what your silkie eggs look like and if they normally lay every day? We have a gorgeous girl who we have yet to see laying. The other hens have all started and been seen on nest or actually laying an egg. Not her. She is now around 6 months old. Wondering if we need to clip or tie back her poof so she can see better. She is smaller than all the other hens except for our frizzle.

Silkie eggs are usually a white/creamed colored egg and they lay every other day depending on the time of year. I've had silkies start to lay as early as 4 months and as late as a year! It all depends on the bird.

Last edited:
Ahh ok well that makes me feel better. Was starting to worry about her not laying yet. Her best friend is our little frizzle hen and she just started about 2 weeks ago and is very irregular still. Probably a dumb question but when you crack an egg how do I tell if it is fertilized? Our rooster has been attempting to mate with almost all the hens except the silkie and frizzle. But he is off them so fast we aren't sure he is getting the job done.

Ohh I always thought it was the white glob that is attached to the side of yolk. But I have seen the ring your talking about. Will be watching from now on. Thanks so much.
As long as you gather yours eggs at least one a day, you should have no need to worry about eating fertilized eggs ;)
I always crack my eggs in a separate bowl before adding to a recipe, just in case they are fertile, though :p

Back
Top Bottom