Silkie thread!

A Silkie rooster arrived at my farm a week ago and I put him into quarentene. Well there he showed many signs of Chronic Respiratory Disease. So today I kulled him off to stop it from spreading. He arrived with two hens. Both seem fine so far, one of them is sneezing now and again. Should I kull them off as well to be safe?

A Silkie rooster arrived at my farm a week ago and I put him into quarentene. Well there he showed many signs of Chronic Respiratory Disease. So today I kulled him off to stop it from spreading. He arrived with two hens. Both seem fine so far, one of them is sneezing now and again. Should I kull them off as well to be safe?
You should have given him a chance to see if he got well - no, I would not cull chickens while in quarantine until I knew 100% sure they had something contagious.

In adult birds, though infection rates are high, morbidity may be minimal and mortality varies.

The route of infection is via the conjunctiva or upper respiratory tract with an incubation period of 6-10 days. Transmission may be transovarian, or by direct contact with birds, exudates, aerosols, airborne dust and feathers, and to a lesser extent fomites. Spread is slow between houses and pens suggesting that aerosols are not normally a major route of transmission. Fomites appear to a significant factor in transmission between farms. Recovered birds remain infected for life; subsequent stress may cause recurrence of disease.

^^^ CRD - it's also treatable/managable.

Last edited:
You should have given him a chance to see if he got well - no, I would not cull chickens while in quarantine until I knew 100% sure they had something contagious.

In adult birds, though infection rates are high, morbidity may be minimal and mortality varies.

The route of infection is via the conjunctiva or upper respiratory tract with an incubation period of 6-10 days. Transmission may be transovarian, or by direct contact with birds, exudates, aerosols, airborne dust and feathers, and to a lesser extent fomites. Spread is slow between houses and pens suggesting that aerosols are not normally a major route of transmission. Fomites appear to a significant factor in transmission between farms. Recovered birds remain infected for life; subsequent stress may cause recurrence of disease.

^^^ CRD - it's also treatable/managable.
I decided to kill him as I am moving all the way across canada and it can also be spread from bird to bird in some cases. I keep roosters for breeding as he would have passed it on I would not have been able to keep him in any of my flocks, and it would be crult or me to keep him in a pen on his own, far from the other birds. As I will not rehome a sick bird and risk spreading any kind of desiease to someone elses flock. The lady I got him from new there was something wrong with him but wasn't sure what it was apoarently. Its also not worth it for me as a small hobby farm to spend the money to treat a bird who will always be effected by the ilness when it means i cant breed him regardless of the treatment. It would cost me over $100 to treat him where I am which is almost 10x more then what he cost me.

I decided to kill him as I am moving all the way across canada and it can also be spread from bird to bird in some cases. I keep roosters for breeding as he would have passed it on I would not have been able to keep him in any of my flocks, and it would be crult or me to keep him in a pen on his own, far from the other birds. As I will not rehome a sick bird and risk spreading any kind of desiease to someone elses flock. The lady I got him from new there was something wrong with him but wasn't sure what it was apoarently. Its also not worth it for me as a small hobby farm to spend the money to treat a bird who will always be effected by the ilness when it means i cant breed him regardless of the treatment. It would cost me over $100 to treat him where I am which is almost 10x more then what he cost me.
Makes sense - but before you start culling tons of birds, it might be worth having a vet check them out, just to make sure you're culling for the right reasons, if you're doing it for breeding purposes.

Makes sense - but before you start culling tons of birds, it might be worth having a vet check them out, just to make sure you're culling for the right reasons, if you're doing it for breeding purposes.

The rooster was in quarenteen with only two other hens. The quarenteen is far away from my flocks luckly. So I think I am safe now with him gone. I am keeping a close eye on the two remaining hens in quarenteen that he arrived with. So far they aren't desplaying any symptoms of anything, They are currently being treated for scaly leg mite though. This is the last week they are to being treated for the scaly leg mites. The one hen sneezed today but I know it could be from a verity of things for now I am just keeping a close eye on them. I know people that cull entire flocks when one bird gets sick. I don't want to do that with mine if I don't have to. To get the birds to a vet it costs $75 just to get them in the door to be seen never mind treatment, or medication. So as I have so much else going on at this time, I don't see taking them to the vet as nesessary.

The rooster was in quarenteen with only two other hens. The quarenteen is far away from my flocks luckly. So I think I am safe now with him gone. I am keeping a close eye on the two remaining hens in quarenteen that he arrived with. So far they aren't desplaying any symptoms of anything, They are currently being treated for scaly leg mite though. This is the last week they are to being treated for the scaly leg mites. The one hen sneezed today but I know it could be from a verity of things for now I am just keeping a close eye on them. I know people that cull entire flocks when one bird gets sick. I don't want to do that with mine if I don't have to. To get the birds to a vet it costs $75 just to get them in the door to be seen never mind treatment, or medication. So as I have so much else going on at this time, I don't see taking them to the vet as nesessary.

If the birds were quarantined together and he had coryza mycoplasma or any of the CRD 's , it would be pointless to add the others to your flock. That being said unless you have strict quarantine rules in place the disease can be carried on your person or shoes.
Without necropsy it's all a guessing game , but birds don't get colds and CRD can be very expensive to treat as it is often reoccurring and it also has a negative effect on production.
Without a veterinary visit its all just guess work.

I have a 5, almost 6-yr-old Black Silkie that has had CRD issues from mild head-shaking to severe wheezing and I just take her to the vet for treatment. She's had anywhere from a 3-day Baytril injection treatment, to oral Baytril, to just having Tylan in her drinking water depending on the vet's diagnosis at the time. I have to isolate her indoors so I can monitor her treatment. No use isolating her for contagion since some CRD issues have already been exposed to the rest of the flock who may not be susceptible to symptoms but my little Black Silkie has to have an increased vitamin supplement diet and has to be kept out of soaking rain to the skin since she doesn't have to good sense to stay out of it. She's better about staying out of wet weather but still forgets once in a while and we have to watch her. So far this past winter she's been symptom-free since we know how to monitor and treat her before she gets severe for a vet visit.

A HAPPY PERKY BUSY BLACK SILKIE HEN

A SAD FRUMPY SILKIE WHEN SHE'S RECUPERATING FROM CRD

Back
Top Bottom