Silkie thread!

Just got these today

Oh that middle one is unique. Is it like a red partridge or something?

Oh that middle one is unique. Is it like a red partridge or something?
I have no idea. I was thinking it could be a red one.But if you have another idea what it could be that would be great! Also, would you happen to know what the one on the left is?

Last edited:
I'm going to be getting a buff silkie chick to add to my current silkie flock sometimes this summer
big_smile.png
. Don't worry, I'm not going to be just getting the one chick, I'm also getting four other different breed of chicks along with the one silkie so it won't grow up alone.

I would get TWO Silkie chicks together. I had 2 Silkie chicks that were growing up w/ large fowl chicks and the large fowl grew faster and larger than the little Silkies and picked on them. So the Silkies took turns running to the feed and water until one of the larger chicks chased it off and then the other Silkie ventured out for its snack. A Silkie chick alone might just hide and starve without a companion for encouragement.

It's happening under the hens too. Im going to try vitamins in the water and this- http://www.seeleycreekvalleyfarm.com/feeding_needs_of_silkies.html

If you use rice don't use bleached white rice. Use brown rice and organic if possible in the aromatic varieties (Texmati, Jasmine, Basmati). The white rice has absolutely no nutrition except starch. The aromatic brown rices have less arsenic (don't panic, some arsenic is leeched by rice from the soil and is normal) plus the good stuff is left in brown rice. My Silkies, in fact all breeds, go nuts for brown rice. Rather than Broccoli chopped into the rice, I add Bee Pollen, Rooster Booster vitamin crystals, a very small pinch of Selenium, and Brewer's Yeast. Not a lot of additives but just enough that the chickens don't realize they are eating other good nutrition with the brown rice they love so much. We offer a small bowl for our 3 chickens once every afternoon,

My Silkies never liked Broccoli and from research about cruciferous like Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Kale, Broccoli, and Cauliflower I decided they were not such ideal foods for thyroid in either humans or chickens. Everyone can decide for themselves but my Mom said chickens were smarter than we give them credit and they know what's best to eat. Penned or caged chickens eat anything you feed them when they're hungry but if given a chance to free-range my chickens ignored the cruciferous veggies. But they love Selenium-rich foods like Blueberries and Spinach, etc.

My birds won't eat broccoli. The dogs always end up cleaning it up after the hens eat everything else.

I should amend that to, they won't eat broccoli florets. They'll happily eat the leaves.

Any left over veggies from dinner get tossed out to the birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom