Silkie thread!

Nice day here today. It's been so long since we had nice days. Some supervised free range for the teenagers. They look like a muppet gang.

Even silkies usually need to go broody first before taking chicks. There are rare exceptions.
Thank you. That makes sense.
thumbsup.gif
I'll keep these babies in the brooder.

EMERGENCY!!! Please Help

Hello, my silkie hen who is 4 years old seems bloated and possibly spraddled her legs (or it's just added weight). I was gone on a 2wk vacation and had family and friends watch my chickens. When I checked on my silkie she had trouble getting up this morning and she still does. When she attempts to walk she falls over. Also, she did have a good amount of poo stuck on her bum however i did take it off easily, it crumbled right off. I added electrolytes to her water, but I'm not sure what is really wrong with her. Can someone please help guess what may have caused this and what this is? Thank You.

One of my almost 2week old silkies. I'm thinking it's a cockerel but hoping for a hen. Any ideas on color? The feathers so far are white but the down is kinda gray/silver

From reading the Silkie thread White chicks can have either yellow or grayish/silver down but grow up White. Let us know what happens with your chick.

@kiwipomegranate, if it's a serious infection there isn't much you can do. If she is retaining an egg, that can cause swelling. In that case, soak her in warm water. Helps relax stuff and possibly move the egg. If it's constipation, some epsom salt and warm water down the throats will help clean her out. Could also be retained fluid in the abdomen from infection or something which you could draw off some with a syringe and needle but that would only make her more comfortable til she passes. Sorry your having to deal with this. Try soaking her in the warm water for a bit.

@FishMtFarm I don't feel an egg inside her. Also, she is acting normal, trying to walk about and eat grass, but of course she is still toppling over when she tries to walk. And the poo seems to be getting stuck on her because she leans backwards to stand now.

@FishMtFarm I don't feel an egg inside her. Also, she is acting normal, trying to walk about and eat grass, but of course she is still toppling over when she tries to walk. And the poo seems to be getting stuck on her because she leans backwards to stand now.
Sorry you're having trouble with your hen. :( Sounds like she has ascites, but hard to say what's causing it. You could do like @FishMtFarm suggested and drain the fluid, but it's only a temporary fix.

Back
Top Bottom