Silkie thread!

Quote:
wow. those are IMPRESSIVE.

I love them! Ooo I see in your signature you want silkies from Amy Piehl. Thats where I got these from! Hers are AMAZING!

Last edited:
Joe, it is hard to tell on that last pictures about the wing being right or not but they are pretty!!!!
I mean actually no, they are all jsut really sad looking and you should send them to me so you
don't have to suffer with them anymore! LOL!!!!!!! JK!!

they are beautiful! so is it a silky trait for the roos to drag the girls around by the topknot? or is that a phase? i have regular chickens but silkies are quickly taking over!

We got a new silkie & a 'sizzle?' today!

What color do you think the sizzle is?

14084_newchicken2.jpg

14084_newchicken3.jpg

Quote:
It's a caveman thing, just that the silkies have a crest to grab onto, unlike a bird with shot feathering that is close to the skin. Sort of like the difference between a pixie doo & a beehive. Just more....well you know.

Last edited:
Quote:
Where do you live? Depends on how much quality you want. There are birds that meet the standard, but in NO WAY will ever win a 1st place, even in a class of 1 ( have seen that one before at a show) Then there is the mid range, breeder quality from good lines, maybe the second pick of a hatch, then there are the OMG birds that stop you in your tracks, which will cost more. Also depends on the breeder, I have seen birds bought for BIG bucks, from the biggest names, that were later sold of given away by the person who bought them, because they were of lower Quality than the $20 bird they bought out of a show cage at a local show. If you want to pay for the "name" it will cost more, just like anything else. You just need to decide your qoals, do you want to go to a show next month & bring home a Rosette, or are you willing to take your time, learn the breed and develope an eye, and a line of birds that you can say, I MADE THESE. And be extra proud because you have put years into a line of birds and have developed a look all your own.

Quote:
Biggest suggestion here would be buy breeding age birds, not eggs of dayold chicks. Older birds over 6 months look like they are, what I mean is, you can get eggs, hatch them wait 6 to 9 months and get birds that don't meet your ideal. Then you have wasted 1 year, and feed costs for that time, and have nothing but $5.00 pets to cull out for your time and effort. If you get an older bird, you know what it looks like and can breed it asap, get your own chicks and save time & money. So in the long run, if you pay $50 dollars for the good breeding age bird now, you might save hundreds by not buying eggs or chicks. JMO Good luck!

Last edited:
Ms.FuzzyButts :

Quote:
What state do you live in? You may be located near enough to one of us, that we wouldn't have to ship them.

well i live in Central Missouri and the only Missourians i have found on here are all down south. =/​

These are great suggestions. I have about 15 silkies less than 6 months, that have been purchased from various places as chicks but they don't have the fluffyness (if that is a word) I want. Today I purchased 2 older Silkies today that look more like what I thought silkies wold be. Hopefully I will be able to breed these to put some umpf in my flock. (umpf is not an acronym it means pazzaz) I am having trouble with all the abbrivations used and have really laughed when I found a couple of links as to what some of them stand for.

I appreciate your insight and maybe after todays purchase I feel better about my guys & gals.

BTW I live in Buford, GA any suggestion on shows to look for in my area?
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom