Silkie thread!

Quote:
Gorgeous!
droolin.gif

Quote:
This is my black silkie girl at a young age (don't know exactly how old) and then a little older. Hope this helps.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/62617_cimg3296.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/62617_cimg3392.jpg

Can anyone say "less stupid laws?" What is the purpose of having to buy 12 chicks instead of three or six or 11? Let me guess the towns around there let you have 3 chickens max, right? Grrr... Can't we just apply safety, cruelty, and nuisance laws already on the books and be done with it....ie If it isn't unsafe, cruel or really annoying to more than two neighbors three out of four days...get the hell out of my property? (sorry had to vent)

First, you post after this about your bed made me LOL
lol.png

I think laws like that one just to protect animals in their intent. I can't say I agree with having to buy 12 in a lot unless they are 2 months old though. I'm thinking perhaps it's to make sure they are kept warm? Like perhaps someone wouldn't know any better and maybe a group of 12 would fare better? IDK! Here in El Paso the law says they need to be 3 weeks old to be sold anywhere. Idk why that is but the feed stores abide by that regulation as well. Officially it is illegal to dye a chicken any color as well. The two coupled would lead me to believe they are trying to discourage the sale of Easter chicks seeing as many people want a tiny fluffy chick dyed pink or some other color for Easter and then a few weeks later are no longer interested and want to get rid of the chick asap.

Quote:
I second the using of wax if you don't want to toss the egg. A hairline crack is a lot more likely to not hatch and/or in my experience break open during incubation.

Quote:
IMHO that is a silkie not a mix. It does appear to be non bearded though. It's also in the "ugly" stage from the looks of it.

X2, except that that is a cute stage! not ugly
sad.png

haha
big_smile.png
I think my uglies are cute too. Never have I laid eyes on a baby silkie and thought ugly but ya know...

Quote:
From the body type I'd guess it's a cockerel but it's soo hard to tell. In the first picture I can't see the comb well but I have to ask, does the chick have a walnut comb? It kinda looks like a straight ridge to me but that might just be blamed on the picture and my looking at it funny....

Quote:
Her color is beautiful! My guess is she's too light but really that's a guess. Is the picture washed out in your opinion? Perhaps she looks darker in person?

Back
Top Bottom