Silkie thread!

Quote:
Maybe you could help sex my "it" he/she is now 5 months old! When do their combs start coming in??? My hatchery chicks-- their combs came in fast. I'm leaning toward boy on my bird, but there is no comb growth. However, I think some of the new pin feathers coming in on its crest are kind of long-- boy?? Unless the crest is just filling out more. I'll have to try to get a better picture soon. I waffle back on forth on this bird-- oh and I think it stands up taller than my hens.
hu.gif
I keep waiting for more definitive signs to show up. Like crowing! LOL

Scarlett--big CONGRATS on your new silkie babies! That IS a great hatch! Impressive!!

Why don't you post pics on that thread I linked?

My oldest girl is over 6 months old and still has a VERY small comb. I wouldn't use the comb as a definite answer though. Some girls have very large combs, and some boys have very small ones. If it is factored in with the other key male traits, than I would say you have a boy.

Hatchery silkies (the girls) all seem to have such a large comb compared to a SQ or BQ silkie pullet.

How do his/her hackle feathers feel? You can definitely tell the males hackle feathers are quite long when compared to a pullet. My guy looks like he has a long mullet
cool.png

Quote:
Maybe you could help sex my "it" he/she is now 5 months old! When do their combs start coming in??? My hatchery chicks-- their combs came in fast. I'm leaning toward boy on my bird, but there is no comb growth. However, I think some of the new pin feathers coming in on its crest are kind of long-- boy?? Unless the crest is just filling out more. I'll have to try to get a better picture soon. I waffle back on forth on this bird-- oh and I think it stands up taller than my hens.
hu.gif
I keep waiting for more definitive signs to show up. Like crowing! LOL

Scarlett--big CONGRATS on your new silkie babies! That IS a great hatch! Impressive!!

My oldest girl is over 6 months old and still has a VERY small comb. I wouldn't use the comb as a definite answer though. Some girls have very large combs, and some boys have very small ones. If it is factored in with the other key male traits, than I would say you have a boy.

Hatchery silkies (the girls) all seem to have such a large comb compared to a SQ or BQ silkie pullet.

How do his/her hackle feathers feel? You can definitely tell the males hackle feathers are quite long when compared to a pullet. My guy looks like he has a long mullet
cool.png

Okay, you've motivated me to drag my 'It' inside and do a little photo shoot to see what I have. I'm tired of guessing! ha!!

Quote:

cool.png

Okay, you've motivated me to drag my 'It' inside and do a little photo shoot to see what I have. I'm tired of guessing! ha!!

gig.gif

Can't wait to see her/him!

Quote:

gig.gif

Can't wait to see her/him!

Grrr. so frustrating!!! I have been trying to upload my pictures for a while now! I've tried over and over and BYC suddenly says that it took too long to load or that the site has been moved or something like that. I've noticed lately it's been extremely difficult to upload pics lately. I even resize them down before I upload so it won't have to do that. I guess it could be a while before you get to see my 'It'. Sigh.
sad.png
My internet is working fine-- I can switch over to another tab and it's responsive.

my silkie count went up one
smile.png

i got a rooster this morning
smile.png

need somemore hens they all met each other today the boys seem to get along
smile.png
thats good news..
now i need some blue or splash hens
smile.png
ill be set
smile.png

Back