Silkie thread!

Yes they can have single combs, but you don't want to keep these for breeders. Lighter buffs usually have lighter skin and the smutty ones usually darker, but I think too many people are selling eggs out of really smutty birds. When all you hatch is smutt it's very frustrating as you won't have good birds to show. So the first batch you hatched will probably have a lot of smutty black or blue in the tail, wings, etc....
Just my experiences breeding buff. Buffs are deffinately a challenge.
Hi! Ok, so I am a tad bit confused and irritated so I needed to come here and ask a couple questions.
I hatched out 5 "Buff silkie" eggs a couple weeks ago under a broody. They all hatched out looking too dark IMO to be buff. I will try to post photos later of what they look like now. I'm kinda in a hurry! Ok, so yellowish on the head, and darkish on the backs. 1 looked like it would end up white. Well, today I hatched out 3 buff silkies from another seller. They are all for sure buff, but their skin is not as dark.
Both sets of eggs have 5 toes. The first set has really dark beaks and skin. The second set has lighter beaks and skin. Looking closely at them today 2 from the first set have single combs. Can a full silkie throw single combs?
And would the ones I hatched today be full with lighter skin?

I think I got my first bullseye in a silkie egg this AM. It is so tiny, that I'm not sure. My large LF eggs are so obvious. Anyone else have a hard time seeing the silkie bullseye?

We've been eating our silkie eggs.. but the bullseyes are very obvious. Mine don't seem to be too 'tiny'. I'm going to go ahead and try to hatch some out now that I know they are fertile. :) I've only collected two to hatch so far. Sigh. I have 5 in the fridge.. but since they've been in there a few days, I'm assuming those are no good to hatch. I think I'll wait for more fresh eggs before I give it a shot to add to the 2 I have now.

We've been eating our silkie eggs.. but the bullseyes are very obvious. Mine don't seem to be too 'tiny'. I'm going to go ahead and try to hatch some out now that I know they are fertile. :) I've only collected two to hatch so far. Sigh. I have 5 in the fridge.. but since they've been in there a few days, I'm assuming those are no good to hatch. I think I'll wait for more fresh eggs before I give it a shot to add to the 2 I have now.

Thanks for the imput!!

Hi
frow.gif
!
I received some silkie eggs today and some are marked BF and the sender says that most of the BFs are Isabelles. What does the BF stand for?
gig.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif

I think you might be right Thank You
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
!!! The lady was very gracious
celebrate.gif
she sent 36 eggs for a 24 egg auction and when my sweet hubby went to pick them up this afternoon she gave him a lovely tour of her Heritage Poultry Farm and even gave him a few Marans eggs to go in the kitchen
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
!!!! The marans eggs were so beautiful I was tempted to put them in the incubator just in case they were fertile
gig.gif
lau.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom