Silkie to cull or not to cull...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by itsalwayssomething, Mar 15, 2018.

1. itsalwayssomething

itsalwayssomething In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2018
    I am so sorry I am new to this guess I posted a question in the introduction page and was quickly told that's not the place to do that. Hopefully I am in the right place this time. My question was I hatched some eggs from a breeder and one of my cuckoo's came out a pure white. I don't think its albino it has no pink eyes and the skin isn't a real pale black its more a medium color black. Is this a defective genes and something I need to cull, or is this a rarity and something I need to keep. I plan on learning more which is why I joined and attempt my own breeding and color project. image1.jpeg hannah 1.jpeg

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Is it healthy? That should be a big consideration in culling. It is not an albino. How a white bird came from cuckoo parents is a mystery, but stranger things have happened and there is always the possibility that a mix up occurred. This bird is not show quality or even breeder quality but if it's healthy it would make a great pet.

drumstick diva, JaeG and Duck Lover88 like this.
  3. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    X2

4. chelnic90

chelnic90 Chirping

Mar 14, 2018
    I will take it if you don't want it XD

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Culled or rehomed. That bird should not be in a Silkie breeding group.

m1chelle1 and drumstick diva like this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sure you could find a good home for it, despite not being show or breeding quality.

If it's healthy it will make a great pet for someone. Silkies are especially favorites of children. No reason to cull it.

JedJackson, SuperMyke and m1chelle1 like this.
  7. SuperMyke

SuperMyke Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    Toledo, Ohio
    Border line "ShowGirl" Lots of flare. I particularly like the ones everyone does not like. Reminds me of myself!:plbb

chelnic90 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: