1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thiebert, Oct 1, 2015.

1. thiebert

thiebert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2015
    My silkie chickens have balls at the end of there toes! Any ideas?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    It would be most helpful if you would take some photos and post them so that we can see what you are seeing - it could be any number of things.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are you talking about mud balls.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that their bedding is clean and dry, and try to prevent them from getting into mud. Soak their feet in warm soapy water for at least 30 minutes to try and soften the mud balls. They can be hard to remove. This may take some time and muscle. Use pine shavings or sand for bedding, since it will stay drier.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  5. thiebert

thiebert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2015
    I just resently got these chickens from the local agricultural market. I put hay down in their run. I hope this helps. I'll soak their feet this weekend. I'm hoping they stay still enough for me lol so far they seem to be skid dish around people! Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by