Silkie versus Polish

cottagechick

Songster
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Cottage Grove, Oregon
I have a silkie chick coming from a hatchery. I am very, very tempted to get a Polish from a breeder. I am trying to not let chicken math get the best of me. I am going to have a small flock of Bantam birds (unless I get the Polish -that would be the only LF.) For those of you with experience with both, which would you chose? I am sure that I could find a home for the silkie chick if I decided to get a Polish instead (As long as it was BEFORE I spent to much time with the silkie - or it would never leave) But as far as all of the factors that make a good backyard chicken - eggs, personality, amusement factor, health, and any other factor that you determine. Which would be the better choice. This will be primarily an egg laying pet. No showing. I live in the rainy, but not too cold Pacific Northwest.
Thanks,
Julie

Last edited:
I have little experience with Silkies but I also live in the very, very rainy Pacific Northwest and the reason I don't currently raise Silklies is that I'd have to keep them in small, well covered areas to prevent harm from the constant cold rain. And I just wouldn't do that. I love Silkies, they're an excellent choice, but out here they require some extra care.

I breed Polish of various colors though, and they're honestly my favorite breed of all the breeds I've known. Very prolific egg layers, except in the winter on their second year and beyond, they're very good at free ranging, very friendly, very hardy, and very intelligent. Of course, each strain can be different though. Many people think they're mean or stupid, but, mine never have been.

Also, Polish come in some VERY striking colors.
wink.png

5149892743_2428524aac.jpg

5998416843_bf0cdf5dd0.jpg

Quote:
I have both Silkies and Polish and wouldn't trade any of them for all of one or the other. All of my birds are calm and gentle, can be picked up and held with no problems. My silkies and Polish lay about the same rate, usually about 4-5 eggs per bird per week.

You said you are going to have a small flock of bantams, except for the Polish if you get it which would be LF. Why not get a bantam Polish instead? My only LF Polish are my Tolbunts. I like my bantams much better. They are much easier to handle and cuddle in bantam. If I could get Tolbunts in bantam, I would be in heaven!

Quote:
I have both Silkies and Polish and wouldn't trade any of them for all of one or the other. All of my birds are calm and gentle, can be picked up and held with no problems. My silkies and Polish lay about the same rate, usually about 4-5 eggs per bird per week.

You said you are going to have a small flock of bantams, except for the Polish if you get it which would be LF. Why not get a bantam Polish instead? My only LF Polish are my Tolbunts. I like my bantams much better. They are much easier to handle and cuddle in bantam. If I could get Tolbunts in bantam, I would be in heaven!

Hmm..interesting question...(about the Bantams) The only reason I was considering LF was 1. I saw someone was bringing some to a poultry swap in October. and 2. I didn't know they came in bantam....since they are pretty small to begin with I figured they would do ok??? hmm...food for thought...and they both (silkies and Polish) lay equally well?

Last edited:
Quote:

Hmm..interesting question...(about the Bantams) The only reason I was considering LF was 1. I saw someone was bringing some to a poultry swap in October. and 2. I didn't know they came in bantam....since they are pretty small to begin with I figured they would do ok??? hmm...food for thought...and they both lay equally well?

LF Polish are not small by any means. My Tolbunts are easily 2 feet tall and weigh about 6 or more pounds. Take a look at my website for pics.

No, they lay well through winter on their first year, but on their second year and beyond, they lay very productively except in the winter.
wink.png
At least, out here they don't, as it rains way too much to get their spirits up.

Quote:
Hmm..interesting question...(about the Bantams) The only reason I was considering LF was 1. I saw someone was bringing some to a poultry swap in October. and 2. I didn't know they came in bantam....since they are pretty small to begin with I figured they would do ok??? hmm...food for thought...and they both lay equally well?

LF Polish are not small by any means. My Tolbunts are easily 2 feet tall and weigh about 6 or more pounds. Take a look at my website for pics.

Ok, wow. I got some misinformation. ;-( The chart that I looked at. And I verified with another person that they weigh between 4-5 pounds...

Quote:

Ok, wow. I got some misinformation. ;-( The chart that I looked at. And I verified with another person that they weigh between 4-5 pounds...

My hens weight less than my roo, but he is a pretty tall and hefty boy. Still, even at 4 pounds, that is a lot more than a bantam and a Silkie in weight and they are still about 2 feet tall, which is a LOT taller than a Silkie.

Quote:

My hens weight less than my roo, but he is a pretty tall and hefty boy. Still, even at 4 pounds, that is a lot more than a bantam and a Silkie in weight and they are still about 2 feet tall, which is a LOT taller than a Silkie.

Good point. I thought since everyone says they get picked on in mixed flocks that the weight might even things out a bit. I really would prefer to stick with bantams.

Back
Top Bottom