Silkie Vision Problems (Even after trimming feathers)

leonardnimoyfan

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Mid-New England
We got a silkie pullet from a friend last April (or so) and since she could not see because of her overly fluffy head, we trimmed the feathers around her eyes. But she seems to have problems with depth perception. Ex. If you hold a treat in your hand, she will peck for it, but fall short by a few inches as if she thinks it is closer to her than it is.

Her eyes might be a little cloudy, but it's hard to tell because her eyes are so dark. In addition, we noticed that she was keeping her eyes shut most of the time before we trimmed her feathers. Maybe her eyes are underdeveloped?

I'm hoping you're still out there; I know this is an old post. I have an 11-week old silkie and he is having the same vision problems that you describe. Do you find anything out about it (cause or solution)? My poor boy can't pick up large meal worms even though he tries so hard he just keeps missing. And, he can't navigate the ramp into the coop. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm hoping you're still out there; I know this is an old post. I have an 11-week old silkie and he is having the same vision problems that you describe. Do you find anything out about it (cause or solution)? My poor boy can't pick up large meal worms even though he tries so hard he just keeps missing. And, he can't navigate the ramp into the coop. Thanks in advance for any help.

One of my silkies is having this same problem. I am now concerned because she is also growing weak. I am mildly concerned that it is because she can’t see well enough to find her food and water. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to know your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom