Silkie w/bloody foot!

Peaches Lee

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
So I don't know how it happened but one of my white Silkie chicks had his feathers on his feet plucked to the point of bleeding. I seperated him with two other chicks and so far they have left it alone. But, when I return him to the main flock, what can I do to protect his little foot from all the "piranhas"? I think I read something about Blu-Kote, but I just wanted to be sure.

Another thing I was wondering, how do you suppose he bloodied himself? Fighting, Playing, over grooming?

Thanks for your help.

I would not recommend using Blu-Kote on chickens. Like cats, you can't keep chickens from picking at and preening themselves and the warnings specifically state not to use on food producing animals.

Dr. Naylor Blu-Kote Caution(s)
For external veterinary use only. In case of serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, or if redness, irritation or swelling persists or increases, discontinue use and consult a veterinarian. Keep away from the eyes, mouth, nostrils, and mucous membranes. Do not spray in the eyes. Do not inhale. Do not use on cats. Prevent dogs from licking the treated area.

For animal use only.

Keep from the reach of children.

Use only as directed.
Warning(s)
Not for use on food producing animals.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/dr-naylor-blu-kote.html

Quote:
Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. I would really like to put them together again. Do you think that re-introducing will be a problem? They are 5 weeks old.

Quote:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/dr-naylor-blu-kote.html

I have white leg horns (until I can find new homes for them) that beat each other up. I think half of the people in BYC use Blu cote on their chickens. I would wait until the wound is completely healed up before putting your silkie back. if there is any red, guaranteed the wound will get pecked on by the others.

I have noticed that a lot of BYCers use Blu-Kote and some have even stated they didn't know about these warnings. Whether you use it is up to you, but I would rather people make an educated decision regarding the matter instead of simply using it because others use it.

Anianna--thank you for the heads up on that!
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. I would really like to put them together again. Do you think that re-introducing will be a problem? They are 5 weeks old.

I am pretty new to chickens someone with expertise in reintroduction would serve as better advise . I will say make sure the wound is healed up completely first. if not the would will get pecked on big time

Hugs Donna

Back
Top Bottom