Silkie, why are you SO confusing!

SilkiesForEver

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Yep, another Silkie gender issue.

I rescued two hens, one footless and one with two feet. They were both sold to me as hens and their owner was confident that they were. I was too, until a few days ago.

The two birds were pretty roughed up, missing feathers and had pretty bad cases of lice. I cleaned them up, got rid of the lice, and have been feeding them as much food as they'll eat. They love their new life. Anyways, the footless bird, whom I affectionately call Peggy, has recently grown many bright feathers. And, her crest I believe has begun to show streamers.

(Pictures are horrible, sorry. I just got a new camera to replace my broken one and I'm still getting the hang of it.)

(Peggy on the left.)

This is what "she" looked like a few weeks ago.
(See the copper colored streamer in her crest?)

(Peggy in the back.)

I'm not sure what they are. Silkies are very tough to determine the gender because they are small, late to mature, and don't have regular feathers. I'm more leaning towards them being cockerels, but as I said, I'm not very sure.

Maybe Peggy is a boy and the other is a girl but silkies are hard. Glad to see them enjoying their new life.

I'm certain the other bird is a hen, but Peggy just keeps me wondering. No crowing, but no eggs.
idunno.gif
They are around 7 months old, so maybe just a late-to-mature cockerel?

Silkies mature slow. I think I see orange saddle feathers in the third pic on Peggy which only males have. Observe the behaviour of them too. Males are more active,alert and stand more erect while girls are more calm and stay low.

Last edited:
Silkies mature slow. I think I see orange saddle feathers in the third pic on Peggy which only males have. Observe the behaviour of them too. Males are more active,alert and stand more erect while girls are more calm and stay low.
Yes, I'll just have to watch them.

Yep, another Silkie gender issue.

I rescued two hens, one footless and one with two feet. They were both sold to me as hens and their owner was confident that they were. I was too, until a few days ago.

The two birds were pretty roughed up, missing feathers and had pretty bad cases of lice. I cleaned them up, got rid of the lice, and have been feeding them as much food as they'll eat. They love their new life. Anyways, the footless bird, whom I affectionately call Peggy, has recently grown many bright feathers. And, her crest I believe has begun to show streamers.

(Pictures are horrible, sorry. I just got a new camera to replace my broken one and I'm still getting the hang of it.)

(Peggy on the left.)

This is what "she" looked like a few weeks ago.
(See the copper colored streamer in her crest?)

(Peggy in the back.)
This pic- that is a rooster stance and attitude. I agree with the streamer sighting as well. It looks to me that you have a pair. But silkies can really surprise you- I now am very humble when guessing silkies!

Back
Top Bottom