Silkie with 4 toe?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bleenstar, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    I saw a silkie today, but it has 4 toes...it looks exactly like a silkie, even have that head puff thing. I thought 4 toe is a recessive gene?

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Four toes is a recessive gene so the silkie you saw would have had to have parents who both had four toes in their back ground. Even if both parents had 5 toes if both had a four toed bird in the background they could throw some four toed chicks. Sometimes people breed a four toed bird to improve on other qualities but that leaves lots of recessive genes floating around for others to deal with.

3. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    I just bought a silkie roo the other day and i checked his foot and he had all 5 toes so i bought him, and then i got home and find he has 4 toes on the other foot [​IMG] is this normal? (It doesn't really matter i would have bought him anyway!) [​IMG]

4. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    thats so weird, its like a mutation of some sort..lol it mutated one toe! cuz with the gene stuff, it just doesnt make sense to me!!!

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Four toes on one foot and five on the other is not uncommon. You will find Silkies with webbed toes and sometimes with the makings of the 6th toe. I had one hatch recently with an extra toe nail. Not good but not all that uncommon.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I hatched a silkie last week who we thought only had three toes on one foot and four on the other. He is actually just missing one toe - the others were smaller than normal and curled under the fluff on his footsies. He walks on "L" shaped feet pretty well and we named him/her Weebles - (weebles wobble but they don't fall down)

And then just the other day I noticed my Showgirl roo has an extra toenail on one toe. It is fused to the other toenail so I don't think I noticed when his toes were super tiny and then he went through a don't touch me phase until recently...

7. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I have 2 silkie chicks that have all their toes, but are missing a toenail. Is this unusual? Can it be passed on? I also have one with 4 toes on one foot. Very pretty bird. Probably why they bred its parents.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    all of the above can be passed on. You can also get great birds from all of the above as parents. What you see is not always what you get.

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Stuff happens.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by