Silkie? With a black single comb

RosesChickens

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
This is silkie. But the comb is a single black comb present at birth. Got it from tractor supply in the assorted bantam Ben. What could it be mixed it?
black skin, 5 toes, all silkie features except that comb.

Attachments

• 22A2B3E8-9FA3-47DF-AD69-75C6EFC6F064.jpeg
    22A2B3E8-9FA3-47DF-AD69-75C6EFC6F064.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 85
  • D7CE57AF-245A-4065-AA5E-A26D0381D346.jpeg
    D7CE57AF-245A-4065-AA5E-A26D0381D346.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 3D974D7F-AB31-476C-A13F-512F3F8DD32D.jpeg
    3D974D7F-AB31-476C-A13F-512F3F8DD32D.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 33
This is silkie. But the comb is a single black comb present at birth. Got it from tractor supply in the assorted bantam Ben. What could it be mixed it?
black skin, 5 toes, all silkie features except that comb.
It is not a mix. The single comb is recessive and pops up now and then, especially in hatchery birds. 😊

That is good to know, because I had been wondering the same thing about one of my new silkie chicks, who is otherwise an incredibly lovely white chick 🤗
My rooster has a single comb, but he is otherwise perfect in every way and a gorgeous bird. His chicks have normal silkie walnut combs, as all my hens have walnut combs. His chicks, then have a chance of throwing single combs if bred to another bird that has a single comb or is recessive to the single comb. Hope that makes sense. 😊

My rooster has a single comb, but he is otherwise perfect in every way and a gorgeous bird. His chicks have normal silkie walnut combs, as all my hens have walnut combs. His chicks, then have a chance of throwing single combs if bred to another bird that has a single comb or is recessive to the single comb. Hope that makes sense. 😊
Okay great thank you for that clarification on the single comb

I’m new to silkies and chickens in general.
I have a batch of 9 (ranging 5-7 weeks old now) I got from a local silkie farmer.
I was wondering can hens and Roos have single combs? (I have one chick with single comb)

single combs are a throwback to when another breed was introduced for colour, size, eggs, by accident, whatever... and it sits in their genes for generations, popping up now and then.

You shouldn't breed from an imperfect bird like this really, though if you are just hatching for your own backyard, who cares.

Hatcheries certainly don't care about breed standards or quality of birds. Quantity rules.

I have a batch of 9 (ranging 5-7 weeks old now) I got from a local silkie farmer.
I was wondering can hens and Roos have single combs? (I have one chick with single comb)
hello there, I also have a hen that silkie cochin mixed and very beautiful.. she has a black comb and small waddle like this with a reddish base, it actually looks really cool, almost devilish though lol, havent found a good name for her yet, other then "Princess"..

BE49B96B-5355-4841-8627-11716545EC28.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D1526F0-15CE-431B-80DA-4652128BC634.jpeg
    6D1526F0-15CE-431B-80DA-4652128BC634.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 35
single combs are a throwback to when another breed was introduced for colour, size, eggs, by accident, whatever... and it sits in their genes for generations, popping up now and then.

You shouldn't breed from an imperfect bird like this really, though if you are just hatching for your own backyard, who cares.

Hatcheries certainly don't care about breed standards or quality of birds. Quantity rules.
So my other question is can you show the chicken in 4h since it doesn’t meet standard? This chick is my sons(all three of my boys picked their chick from the batch) he’s 7 and super excited about the idea of showing at the fair.

Back
Top Bottom