silkie with crusty yellow around eyes

hlr

Hatching
May 21, 2017
We have three 6 month old silkie hens. We noticed today one has crusty yellow stuff on the skin around her eyes, and her eyes look almost closed. She is eating and drinking but acting sort of lethargic. She lives outside - has been mostly on grass, with pine shavings for bedding in nesting boxes at night.

Any suggestions for how to treat. Also, should I separate her from the others?

I would leave her be. She probably got scratched or injured in the eye. I wouldn't separate her unless she's being bullied.

Hi @hlr Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?
Any other symptoms - coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils, etc.?
Is she pooping?
Since she is lethargic, that is concerning. You may want to separate her overnight so you can monitor her. Offer her some poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg or tuna.

Having a crusty eye can be caused by a number of things - a peck/injury to the eye, dirt/debris has entered the eye or it could be from respiratory illness. General care for any eye that has crust and/or pus, would be to gently flush the eye with saline or sterile water. Try to remove the crust and any pus that you see. Inspect the eye and surrounding tissue for injury and debris. Apply Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eye.

Keep us posted.

Well do what the lady says:
Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eye.
and you can also use the medication and wait an hour and apply Vetrex put in the eye.
Then doctor again with eye ointment and wait another hour and use Vetrex in eye and give her 1 tsp of vetrex down the throat.
It is a herbal remedy that originally was for humans called"save the Baby" used for respiratory illness in humans.
When putting vertex on the eye and head
WEAR PLASTIC GLOVES WHEN DOCTORING THIS CHICKEN.
As you may catch something from her sickness if you have any breaks in your skin.
also use the plastic gloves and rub the whole chickens head with the Vetrex.
And put it under her wings as she can breath it when sleeping.
Also wash any clothes you wear when doctoring her.
You can carry the germs on your clothes or shoes, so do her chores lat.
Also confine her to a dog carrier cage in the garage for her health to get better.
Also it will keep other chickens from getting this infection.

Thank you for the advice. Today we gave her a bath, wiped her eyes with sterile eyelid wipes, and applied Terrmycin. One eye is completely closed today.

She is separated from the other chickens. I just now saw the post about vetrex (haven't heard of it), so I will research that. I'm attaching a photo from today - this is just after her bath so her feathers look wet, but you can see the closed eye.

Please post if you have any other advice for us. Thank you!

IMG_8625.JPG

Check her over for any sign of lice/mites as well.

If you don't see improvement with the flushing and Terramycin ointment, it would be best to see your vet to have them test the discharge coming from the eyes - this way they can prescribe the correct medicine(s) if applicable.

Also, it's hard to tell, but is her beak quite long? It may need to be trimmed up a bit if you see that she has any difficulty eating/drinking.

Here's a little info on how they test:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1156995/finally-swollen-eye-sinus-lump-swelling-cure-treatment

Tylan50- 1/2ml u can get in powder or injection. I use the injection, to me it works faster. 22 gauge needel tip.Also give "save a chick" comes in packets. 1 pk does 1 gallon Orange drink give that in ur waterer .keep her warm and quiet lots of tlc

Back
Top Bottom