Silkie with diarrhea! HELP!

Hencraze24

Songster
May 9, 2019
Sussex, WI
Our white silkie, Daisy, has been having a very runny vent lately. She acts normal, eating drinking, laying, and foraging, but she has diarrhea. how can I help her? is she sick? does she have worms? (or am I just overreacting)? Oh yeah, she is about 1 1/2 old.

Did you switch feed brands on her, give her too many protein infused treats like mealworms, too much noise going on lately to stress her? A virus or bacteria, or coccidiosis(spelt it right that time, but I hope that's not what it is) According to internet research, giving your chicken apple cider vinegar can help with diarrhea.

we have tried the apple cider vinegar. we do feed them a lot of mealworms. What other common foods might have protein in them? we don't feed them a lot of meat, mostly fruit and veggies. There are no other symptoms.

Mealworms contain a lot of protein, so I recommend cutting way back on them and continue with the apple cider vinegar to see if it helps. Are the veggies you feed your chickens fresh-like out a garden, because chickens don't need the salt from canned things.

whatever's rotting, spoiled or dirty in the garden goes in the run. We sometimes feed them table scraps so food doesn't go to waste. we have never had a sickness issue.

My Rhode girls will have runny, foul-smelling poo. But they are otherwise healthy. Do avoid giving chickens too much meat. Their feed has enough protein within it. Cut back on those mealworms! Give your girl only one of two a day.

What feed are you using? The bulk of their diet should consist of a good quality feed. Treats, like mealworms, and table scraps should not be more than 10% of their diet, and not on a daily basis. You might want to post some pictures of her, her vent, and her poo. This could help us to better determine the problem.

Back
Top Bottom