Silkie with head tilt!!

Cheeky Chick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
I've had my chickens for just over 2 weeks, my silkies are 2.5 weeks old. My black one, Zen, has been suffering from a terrible head tilt since about the 3rd day I had her. I've been giving her Poly-vi-sol and several days ago, she seemed to be MUCH better. Well, that was short lived, she's back to the head tilt, and it's worse. She's now doing circles and somersaults all over the brooder, this morning when I woke up she was sleeping on her back in the food dish, with her head hanging down the outside of it. She flipped over when I made a noise, but I thought she had died. It was terrifying.

She's eating and drinking, when she can stop circling and tumbling. My blue chick, Karma, just watches her, gets out of her way, and once Zen has fallen asleep, she cuddles up next to her. Karma is also now almost twice Zen's size, they're both getting adult feathers, somewhat, but Zen is not thriving and growing. She's barely grown since I brought her home.

I have no problem having her inside forever, and just being a house chicken, but I wanted to know if there's anything else I can do for her. I just feel so awful when I watch what she's going through. When she's ok, she's happily pecking at the food and water and roaming around, then all of a sudden she'll just spaz out again, and it's sad.

Any suggestions? I'm also worried that Karma doesn't have any normal chicks to bond with, and wonder if I should just get another silkie or bantam sized buddy for her.

Put her back on the poly-vi-sol. I had one like that. Took weeks to finally correct it but she's a normal silkie now. Couldn't even tell she had issues before. I would literally hand feed her nutri-drench several times a day. Started putting it into a wet mash too. Don't give up on her!

Put her back on the poly-vi-sol. I had one like that. Took weeks to finally correct it but she's a normal silkie now. Couldn't even tell she had issues before. I would literally hand feed her nutri-drench several times a day. Started putting it into a wet mash too. Don't give up on her!
I never took her off!
sad.png
Maybe she needs a higher dose? They silkies get a mash every morning i put a little poly-vi-sol in there too, (Can't hurt!) I will not give up on her-I am of the mind that "Where there is life, there is hope".

What's nutri-drench? I'm happy to hear your silkie is back to normal-it gives me great hope for this precious little girl!!

Back
Top Bottom